Natopian Supreme Court
The Supreme Court of the Natopian Nation, officially known as the Court of the Noble Foundation, is the judicial branch of the Imperial Natopian government, formally a part of the Imperial Court of Natopia. It has three members, it is chaired by the Emperor, managed by the Secretary of Legal Affairs, and has at least one assistant legal adviser.
The Court rules on interpretations of Imperial law, or demesne law if a case is brought to it. Members of the Court are appointed by the Emperor and must be confirmed by the Frenzy. Members, other than the Emperor, serve twelve-year terms. Members can be removed by a two-third majority of the Frenzy with confirmation from the Emperor. They may also resign.
Until 1666, when the former Supreme Court was restored to the Imperial Court, the Supreme Court was an independent institution of justice. As part of the Judicial Reforms orchestrated by Ivo Angus, the Supreme Court replaced the Natopian Emperor as Natopia's judiciary. As a result the Natopian Emperor as taken on a more executive role focusing on foreign and military affairs. The Supreme Court still exercises its judicial power in the name of the Natopian Emperor to preserve tradition.
Ivo Angus served as Chief Justice until 1666. In the three–four years prior to the end of the Supreme Court, Ivo Angus had become more and more absent from the Court. The laws and regulations governing the court required his activity. As such, the Supreme Court became an unworkable institution. Therefore, the Frenzy decided to create the Court of the Noble Fountain in its stead.