|In use by:||Ministry of State|
|Allegiance:||Shireroth (Imperial Regency)|
|Type:||Unified armed forces|
|Nickname:||The Forlorn Guard|
|Current Commander:||Commissioner, the Lady Aethonius|
|Conflicts & Deployments||
The Raspur Pact Training Mission-Shireroth (RPTM-S) was established in 1679 at the initiative of Benacia Command. The aim of RPTM-S was to assist in the development of Imperial Forces training structures and institutions so that Shireroth could build an effective and sustainable capability that addressed the needs of the Imperial Republic, that would defend its remaining territories against secessionists and which would be able to resist any further efforts at capitulation by the regency in Shirekeep. RPTM-S was not a combat mission but was a distinct mission, under the political control of the Raspur Pact's Joint Military Council. Its operational emphasis was on training and mentoring. The activities of the mission were coordinated with the Shirerithian Ministry of State, whose minister was the de-facto commander of the Imperial Forces, and the Imperial Advisory Council.
In 1694 Benacia Command authorised the return of a significant quantity of surplus small arms, rejected by the UDF for use in the Second Elwynnese Civil War, to the arsenals of the Imperial Republic. These comprising primarily of:
- 243,838x – M1591 7.62 mm rifles
- 110,750x – M1656 9 mm sub-machine gun
- 80,000x – M1525 9 mm pistols
- 79,188x – M1508 Martini-Rossi 11.56 mm rifles
The weapons would be transferred from the depots of the Black Legions in the Unified Governorates to designated arsenals in Brookshire and the Duchy of the Guttuli via a series of road convoys that would travel across the UGB, Tellia, Sanama, and Drak-Modan in order to reach their intended destinations.
The Imperial Forces have a distributed structure that relies predominantly on ground combat as a consequence of the Kalirion Fracture and the loss of advanced military hardware and the trained personnel to operate them. At its low point, the Palatini Corps was the only armed force under Imperial authority.
- Palatini Corps: ground, air, and riverine combat command headquartered in Shirekeep. Founded in 1637 AN, made independent in 1664 AN.
- The Sentinel Guards: ground combat formation
- The Secret Guards: ground combat formation
- The Palace Guards: ground combat formation
- The Kampioen Guards: ground combat formation
- The Apollonian Guards: ground combat formation
- The Veteran Guards: ground combat formation
- The Kalirion Guards: ground combat formation
- The Sathrati Guards: ground combat formation
- The Flying Guards: aerial combat formation
- Ducal Army of Brookshire: ground combat command headquartered in Maltenstein. Organized in 1683 AN as Her Imperial Highness's Brookshirian Auxiliary Service and regional militia, reorganized in 1695 AN.
- Dolorous Association: ground combat formation
- Isenbury Association: ground combat formation
- Woodshire Association: ground combat formation
- Ducal Army of the Guttuli: ground and maritime combat command headquartered in Lachlan. Organized in 1694 AN from preexisting local peacekeeping forces.
- Lockenhasp Association: ground combat formation
- Lowbrook Association: ground combat formation
- Ducal Army of Modan: ground combat command headquartered in Drakorda. Organized in 1704 AN from the anti-SCROTUM elements of the Drak-Modani Defense Force
- Mortis Mercatoria Association: ground combat formation
- Keizerlijke en Koninklijke Strijdkrachten van Batavië
- Vrije Weermacht
- Bataafse Koninklijke Luchtmacht
- Bataafse Koninklijke Zeemacht
- Feudatory Host of Kildare
- Feudatory Host of the Raynor Isles
- Neiwufu Agency
- Imperial Navy of Shireroth
- The River Guards: riverine combat formation (administered by the Palatini Corps)
- 1st Maritime Association: headquartered in Lichport, organized in 1690 AN as the Sea Corps (administered by the Ducal Army of the Guttuli)
- 2nd Maritime Association: headquartered in Eriksburg (administered by the Ducal Army of Modan)
- 3rd Maritime Association: headquartered in Fort Sephiroth (administered by the Ducal Army of Modan)
- So-Saran Battle Command: combined-arms air-ground naval infantry formation
- Draconian Battle Command: combined-arms air-ground naval infantry formation
At the operational level, ground combat units are organized into Reinforced Cohorts (Pr. Toißuszoþ Gauht), a concept adapted from the Guttuli Corps's Streïkrupp. As the name suggests, an infantry cohort is reinforced with attached armored reconnaissance, artillery, and engineering maniples. This allows for the application of heavy weapons systems to be more easily available at the tactical level. The commanding officer of the cohort, typically a Mid-Grade Tribune, serves as the commanding officer for the Reinforced Cohort.
Three Reinforced Cohorts, along with the parent units for their attached combat support as well as additional defensive and logistical support units, are organized into a Battle Command. The Battle Command is expected to be capable of sustained independent operations.
As directed by the Ministry of State's Commission for Defence, regular Imperial Forces now operate within a single system of ranks, uniforms, and equipment, in order to sustain interoperability.
On paper, each regional army maintains its own general staff under the authority of its own Master of Soldiers, who creates field formations, called Associations, over whom he designates a Standard. In actuality, the regional armies have been reduced to a merely administrative role, with each general staff tasked with maintaining supply and training. Associations are created under the direction of, under the authority of an appointee of, and receive strategic direction from the Commissioner for Defence. Associations are composed of units freely shuffled between Associations as necessary to meet Imperial strategic goals with the shortest logistical lines. This arrangement is a systematized form of the previous ad-hoc Banners placed under the appointed authority of a Nypḥyk'u (RL. "Standard Bearer"), whose subordinate units were a free mixture of militia, professional, and irregular troops as resources allowed it.
These changes are reflected in the changes to the rank structure, which no longer distinguishes between 'Spear' and 'Specialist' units, which has condensed the general officer ranks considerably, which has placed significantly larger responsibility upon the Field Officer ranks, and which has seen an expansion of Company-Grade and senior-NCO ranks. Under this new scheme, which has been influenced by its roots in the Brookshire militia and re-educated remnants of the Guttuli Corps, NCOs (or Principals) can seek entry into the Officer Candidate program, receive a commission, and gain access to the higher ranks. The children of nobles have adjusted to this more meritocratic officer recruitment process by sending their children into military academies, so that they may qualify for career acceleration upon entry into the Imperial Forces.
|Rank||Ground Force||Air Force||Maritime Force|
|OF-8||Master of Soldiers / Frainan Streïakeï||Army, CO|
|OF-7||Standard / Staggus||Association, CO|
|OF-5||Tribune (Broad Grade) / Ahmst (Bræþ Griþ)||Battle Command, CO||Squadron, CO|
|OF-4||Tribune (Mid Grade) / Ahmst (Mi Griþ)||Cohort, CO||Wing, CO||Frigate, CO|
|OF-3||Tribune (Narrow Grade) / Ahmst (Mair Griþ)||Cohort, 2i/c||Group, CO||Corvette/Submarine, CO|
|OF-2||Captain / Fiþnan||Ordinate / Opratzan||OR-9||Principal||Maniple, OC||Chain, CO|
|Undercaptain / Niþnfiþnan||First Overwatchmaster / Ænst Uvnahtaldan||OR-8||Maniple, 2i/c|
|OF(D)||Overwatchmaster-Squire / Uvnahtaldan-Silbir||Overwatchmaster / Uvnahtaldan||OR-7||Watch, OC|
|Watchmaster-Squire / Ahtaldan-Silbir||Watchmaster / Ahtaldan||OR-6|
|Underwatchmaster / Niþnahtaldan||OR-5||Watch, 2i/c|
|Prime / Frum||OR-4||Soldier||File, OC|
|Chosen / Usczosoþ||OR-3||File, 2i/c|
|Experienced / Usfaroþ||OR-2|
|New / Nuï||OR-1|
In the decades after the Kalirion Fracture, the Imperium relied upon irregular forces, local militia, and rehabilitated defeated hostile forces to augment the Palatini Corps, the only components of Benacia Command that had remained loyal to the Golden Mango Throne. Beginning in the 1690s, regularization became a priority for the Imperial Commission for Defence. Introduced in 1702 AN, a new set of standardized uniform specifications were established, replacing all previous forms.
The Palatini Corps retained a distinct color and cut for its field and service uniforms, and was given permission to continue using its distinct Full Dress uniform, first authorized in 1663 AN, when on ceremonial duty in Shirekeep.
Issued to all members of the Imperial Forces, derived from the all-weather utility uniform used by the Ŝḥenĉeł'yh and adopted by the Brookshire Ducal Army.
Distinct variants for Officers and Principals. Service Dress for Officers and Ordinates is modelled on the pre-Fracture Lancer officer tunic, now applied to all officers irrespective of unit type. Service Dress for other Principals uses the same design as the Field Dress uniform but out of the same fabric and dyes as the Service Dress for Officers. Soldiers are not issued a Service Dress uniform, but may purchase it for non-field duty use when authorized by their commanding officer (e.g. ceremonial duty, parade, court appearance, public-facing offices, etc).