International Mandate for the Settlements in Apollonia
|International Mandate for the Settlements in Apollonia|
|Motto: No debt goes unpaid. No wrong goes unforgotten.
Motto of the Man trying to desperately sell T-shirts at the pub: In Gold we Trust
|Anthem: Song of the Eagle|
|Official language(s)||Istvanistani, Jingdaoese, Krasnocorian, Batavian, Alexandrian Fransch|
|Official religion(s)||No official religion|
|- First Consul of the Mandate||André Vales|
|- Legislature||Mandate Council|
|Area||2558 square km|
|Currency||New Alexandrian écu (€), Batavian Kruys (†), Krasnocorian credit (still circulating despite having lost value), Golden Kala (), Blackfriars trinkgeld (bt)|
|Track gauge||Standard: 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
Railway between Tiegang and Tiren: 1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in)
|National animal||Dragon and bear|
|National drink||Leylstadter beers|
|Abbreviation||IAM (International Apollonian Mandate)|
The International Mandate for the Settlements in Apollonia, shortened to the Apollonian Mandate, or International Mandate, is a small city state on the Apollonian continent. Due to the importance and dominance of the city of Tiě Gǎng, also spelled Tiegang (Common tongue: Iron Harbour), it's sometimes referred to it as such.
The city states consists of Tiegang is a large city and port in Eastern Apollonia. It was notable for being the main port in Apollonia for the international conglomerate of the Iron Company and remained for a long time, between 1510 and the present, an important trading hub. From its early beginnings during the Antican era, to its independence as the Tyrenian city state, to its integration into Jingdao and eventually its annexation in Krasnocoria: its location and shrewd merchants allowed the city to grow and prosper, whoever its leaders might have been.
The metropolis, which was once part of Krasnocoria, is surrounded by either sea and the Çakar Empire, which successfully expanded into the heartlands of the former Corian state. While no hostile relations exist with the sultanate, and one could even speak about healthy trade relations, several representatives of the Mandate Council perceives its larger neighbour as a potential threat to its independence.
The city state came into existence when two towns, by the Jing historians referred to as Tiě and Gǎng (their Antican and Tyrenian names were scrapped from the records), started growing when the first Antican settlers arrived and met the local Tyrenians. The town of Tiě, rich of iron ore, had drawn the attention of the growing Antican empire. A sea trade route was established between Nafticon and Gǎng, whose natural harbour made trade contacts easier.
With increasing influence of the Anticans during the the early 16th century, the towns were slowly growing closer together. Eventually, the towns were merged into one city under Antican administration in 1510 AN. While being overshadowed by larger cities, Tiegang prospered. When Antica eventually collapsed at the end of the century, Marcus Lucius Praetor proclaimed it as the independent city-state of Tyrenia in 1598 AN.
It joined the Jingdaoese Empire in 1605 AN as it was pressured by nomadic attacks. After the Jingdaoese formation of their Second Empire, which was centred around the six island area in Eastern Apollonia, the region saw an increase in trade. As part of the Jingdaoese Empire it grew into the main trade harbour of their empire. Later, in 1665 AN, when the Jingdaoese resettled in Kildare, the focus of the Jing moved westwards. With the Antican isles losing their importance as centre of Jingdaoese civilization, the Jing decided to give up their possessions in the region (except for the Dongdao Isles which were of religious importance).
While a repeat of the earlier disaster loomed at the horizon, the Khanate of Krasnarus slowly but surely started consolidating its rule over the territory. By the 1670's, the city thrived again, now as trade port to what would eventually become Krasnocoria. Under Krasnocoria, the city gained its multicultural character: while still wearing its Jingdaoese name, more and more Krasnocorians settled in the hills and downtown. Ethnic communities of Krasnocorians, Jingdaoese, Tyrenians, Anticans and even Batavians lived - more or less - together in relative peace.
The outbreak of the civil war of 1687 AN in Krasnocoria - due to increased ethnic tensions - and the nations collapse, shaped an uncertain future for Tiegang. The increasing influence of the sultanate of Sylvania made the citizens fearful of an impending attack on their city. In the meantime, Tiegang saw a sharp increase of refugees: those who fled the war and settled in what was still perceived as a safe heaven.
The same year, Leylstadt collapsed, due to its dependence on the trade route between both Jingdao and Krasnocoria and its crippling national debt (as the Leylstadters had fled their original homelands before being resettled). A large fraction - under their former duke, Nicolas des Vinandy-Windsor, led his people westwards, into Jingdao. The folk hero and conquestador, André Vales, ignored the call to resettle in the Great Jing Dynasty. He, and a group of around 32,000 refugees fled eastwards and ended up in Tiegang.
Most of those Leylstadters had lost a part of their fortune, but not their skills. Rudolf Duytscher brought with him the recipes to restart Leylstadter Bieren, soon finding eager support from both merchants as drunks. André Vales was eventually appointed by the Council as First Consul the same year, after having proclaimed the city state independent and free (claiming that his presence alone made it a worthy successor of Leylstadt).
Faced with war and unrest, the city council called upon foreign forces to protect its interests. The request received response from Krasnocoria's allies, who sent a number of troops to garrison the city and aid the overworked police forces in keeping the peace. The new nation received the name International Mandate for the Settlements in Apollonia, as its defences were placed into the hands of the USSO's peacekeeping forces.
In Elwynn – Mishalacia especially – there was much outpouring of solidarity with their Krasnocorian kin in Tiegang. The Orthodox Church of Amokolia and Elwynn, the main religious and cultural connector of the Slavic people of Elwynn, began organizing a relief effort to assist the International Mandate. Hundreds of priests, monks and nuns, left for Tiegang in order to run hospitals in the shanty towns of the area, and organise a part of the food distribution under the auspices of the church. The Church created the Eparchy of Tyrenia for the entirety of the International Mandate's territory, with Tihon as its bishop.
As the situation in Krasnocoria developed the SS Andronikos was chartered by the Honourable Company to deliver representatives of the Expeditionary Services Brigade to the port of Tiegang to support its efforts to evacuate the Company brokerage on the island of Jaris, while Alduria-Wechua and Constancia diverted a significant naval task force towards the region in order to commence the evacuation and safeguarding of a significant Constancian expatriate population.
In 1709 AN a grand festival was held in the Blackfriars district, the occasion of which was known only to the denizens of that quarter. A straw bear was wetted with tar and set aflame to the delight of all there present, whilst the regulars and patrons of the Blackfriars' Redux enlivened their neighbourhood by donning fezzes and cudgels before setting out to attack the apprentices of the nearby settlements outwith the district. They were accompanied by the student body of the School of the High Inquisitor of Tiegang and some of the inmates of Saint Richard's Asylum who had been set loose for the day. The revellers later returned bearing aloft the bloodied shirts of those apprentices whom they had run to ground and bested, their return being greeted with flags and banners, accompanied by the school's band. The feast served by the landlord of the Blackfriars to mark their return was unusually palatable by his standards and marked by a greater liberality than might normally be expected.
Despite asking and receiving military aid from the USSO, the Council made clear that the harbour would be open for everyone. Through the personal connections of Leylstadters residents, contact was made with the Alduria-Wechua Federation and the Kingdom of Batavia to establish diplomatic and trade relations. The Holy Ralgon Empire also maintains a significant presence there, although its independence-minded colony has generally usurped its role of guaranteeing maritime trade.
In the meantime, most trade through inland Apollonia (save for Hurmu and Lac Glacei) from The Hexarchy continued to flow through this region, following a cooling (and eventual silence) of relations between that country and the USSO members GAE and Arbor.
The International Mandate is administered by the First Consul, who is elected by the Mandate Council. The Consul acts as head of state and is responsible for the day-to-day affairs. As the city states' head of both state and government, the Consul exercises control over a large majority of the Mandate's sectors, including law enforcement, and foreign affairs. The First Consul is elected for a four-year term but may run for re-election. He's chosen by the Mandate Council.
The Mandate Council is a deliberative assembly composed of the most influential ethnic groups within the Mandate and representatives of the military forces, responsible for the defence of the Mandate territory. In 1687 AN, following ethnic groups each held two seats in the Council, while foreign armed forces received one seat when they committed to the defence of the Mandate.
By 1697 AN there were increasingly insistent rumours to the effect that the true power in the International Mandate settlements had passed into the hands of another institution of the city, with its own emergent economic and political powerbase.
|Group||Number of seats||Name of the representative(s)|
|Antican Group||Two seats||
|Constancian Group||Two seats|
|Krasnocorians Group||Two seats||
|Jingdaoese Group||Two seats||
|Leylstadter Group||Two seats|
|Tyrenian Group||Two seats||
|Representation from Mandate Garrisons|
(Imperial Armed Forces of Jingdao)
|One seat||Hou Chang, Shangwei of the Jingdaoese Mandate Regiment|
|The Honourable Company||One seat||Daniyal al-Osman, Director of Apollonian Operations, Commandant of the ESB-Holïurs-Afzælt|
|Diplomatic and Humanitarian Mission to Tiegang from Nouvelle Alexandrie||One seat||Ambassador Félix Oliver|
|The Grand Armada of the Imperial Federation (Imperial Federation)
(Formerly the Adrestian Royal Navy (Ralgon))
|One seat||Rear Admiral Saizo Mechazawa, officer commanding 5th Fleet Command|
|The Regiment of the Blackfriars'||One seat||The Lord Proprietor of the Blackfriars|
List with representation incomplete.
According to rumours, real power is not held by the weak-willed and squabbling members of the Council, but by a bunch of drunks, wanna-be philosophers and damned souls (in other words: the city state's brightest minds) residing in its most notorious pub, the Blackfriars' Redux. The bar, composed of a number of regulars and - for those brave enough - lost tourists, occasionally bursts out in a a session of law-making. A number of clerks on standby make desperate attempts to put the drunk slur into acceptable decrees and laws. In most cases this fails miserably due to their own intoxication, leading to the lawless state the nation is in.
The city state does not have an army of its own. Instead it relies on its police forces to keep the peace within the city borders. Its vulnerability, and the sudden collapse of the Krasnocorian state, led to a coalition of interested parties to send it troops to act as garrison. As language barriers sometimes led to difficulties with the locals, the garrisons are only allowed to guard around the border area. The police forces are responsible for what happens in the city, on water or with incoming trade goods (like customs).
Military troops can, however, be asked to interfere in riot control, especially in the several shanty towns - where people live sometimes live in appalling and deteriorating circumstances - which started to grow from 1687 AN and onwards. Investigations by human rights groups called upon a stricter control over the foreign troops, which - according to the groups - often violate the restrictions placed upon them. Military patrols have, in certain districts, replaced the underfunded police forces.
ESB-Holïurs-Afzælt, a private military company, refuses to confirm or deny that it has deployed personnel in the area.
Main article: Camp Gloucester
Stationed immediately north of the southernmost border crossing, the South Sea Islands' deployment consisted of 200 infantrymen of the Combat Support Services Regiment, 10 off road motorcycles, 4 Snatch Land Rovers and a NH-76 Dromosker helicopter. The primary responsibility of the force was to reinforce the border crossing, as well as patrolling southwards along the border to the coast. In addition to standard issue assault rifles, grenades and bayonets, the deployment was also equipped with mortars, anti-tank missiles, micro unmanned aerial vehicles and shoulder-launch anti-aircraft missiles.
Camp Gloucester itself consisted of a sleeping quarters, a mess hall, field hospital, vehicle maintenance facilities, a helipad and hospitality facilities. The facilities were heavily reinforced by sandbags, rock cages and earthworks, and a number of classified underground tunnels are believed to have existed. Additional earthwork redoubts were constructed along the relevant section of the border.
The perimeter of Camp Gloucester was heavily defended with anti-tank obstacles, ditches, barbered wire, various sensors (audio, thermal and movement detection), anti-vehicle landmines, earthworks and rock cages.
In 1692 AN the Government of the South Sea Islands announced that the deployment at Camp Gloucester would come to an end in 1695 AN. Thereafter, the South Sea Islands pledged continued support for the Mandate, in the form of seasonal visits from the R.R.S. Madison during the summer months, to assist in security and anti-piracy operations.
The withdrawal of military personnel eventually happened sooner than expected with the Military Withdrawal Act being ratified and receiving Royal Assent. In a ceremony, the government of the Mandate thanked the South Sea Islands for their aid in troubling times. As of now, talks are underway to establish a museum dedicated to the Islands' culture and heroic sacrifices at the former Camp.
In 1703, the Constancian delegation proposed the conversion of the abandoned and vacant Camp Gloucester into an international airport. On 8.V.1704 AN, over their cups, the Landlord of the Blackfriars' Redux told the ESB Deputy-Resident to go ahead and take the site if that is what they wanted to do, since at this point there was really no-one left in a strong enough position to stop them.
The formerly unimaginatively named Adrestian Royal Naval Base Tiegang is now known as the Mechazawa Naval Base. The base is one of the Imperial Federation's largest overseas military installations outside of the Core Regions, and retains the honor of being the first major independent overseas base maintained by the Adrestian government, now the home of the Imperial Federation. With the arrival of then-Commodore Saizo Mechazawa's battleship plus its escort fleet in late 1686 to help quell the unstable situation at the city's outskirts, they were invited to build a more permanent installation on and off the coast to maintain order in the district the Adrestians now found themselves in. A large headquarters was build on a nearby island, and the Adrestian Navy wasted no time in moving off their temporary island headquarters to the south (now occupied by the Honorable Company) the moment the core buildings were complete.
The Ralgonese government, dealing with issues at home, rubber stamped the base's approval, not being able to do much about their de facto compatriot's actions. However, they were more than happy to send working class immigrants en masse to the city to assist in the Base's construction and maintenance. Such people, who were pushed out of Ralgon during the 1685 Crisis and, unable to afford Adrestia's strict and stringent real estate market, could not find a sponsor or afford go independently through the lengthy immigration process before being able to legally find employment.
Beginning in the mid-1690's with the national resurgence of western Ralgon power (namely through Adrestian military might) the Naval Base finally saw direct, serious attention after the closing days of 1695. Commodore Mechazawa, having already made the Mandate his home for almost ten years, was promoted to Rear Admiral and given substantial reinforcements, which were immediately put to work in land reclamation projects meant to expand both the Ralgon and Adrestian Quarters of the still-growing city. Shortly thereafter, the Rear Admiral retired from active duty to focus on settling his family in Adrestia on the island and governing the growing civilian population flowing in from increased trade that benefitted from Adrestia's strengthening naval forces in the region.
Saizo Mechazawa was given a lordship and a promotion to Vice Admiral on his retirement in 1710 AN, when he moved to the same island named after himself to take up residence. Although the retired navy admiral no longer holds a direct commission and political office, he still commands great influence over both military and civilian matters in the center of the Ralgonese diaspora in eastern Appolonia.
Adrestia started moving assets to the massive base in earnest through mid 1687 as buildings started to go up on its headquarters on an island just off the coast, which was eventually called Mechazawa Island, after its first resident commander. This location also became the civilian headquarters of the Adrestian civilian government, with fleet operations slowly transferring to outlying islands as Adrestian merchants came to permanently occupy the ports. Commodore Mechazawa was granted a permanent seat on the Mandate Council, and was made the (mostly ceremonial) Lord Mayor of the Adrestian Quarter in Tiegang City by the Prince of Adrestia in recognition for prior efforts. This title was officialized on his retirement as Rear Admiral from the Royal Adrestian Navy in 1695, whereupon he kept his military title as an additional honor from the local population and his home government.
Overall fleet command transferred to Rear Admiral Sora Matsuda when he arrived in the second half of 1687. The new reinforcements of four battleships and a full-strength fleet represented a significant portion of Adrestia's current overseas assets at the time. Half of this group remains actively deployed to support allied operations in the region. While the Fleet headquarters remained on Mechazawa Island, operations continued to shift to the outlying islands. The deployment to the island was doubled in 1695, with the new forces augmenting the now-permanent detachment on Mandate territory.
Mechazawa Island currently plays host to the resident Adrestian and Ralgonese populations' upper classes, as well as the government headquarters for the Adrestian Mandate. The Governor's Palace, located on parkland in the island's interior, now also hosts the Adrestian Royal Navy's command center for recently organized Fifth Fleet Command, whose requisite reinforcements arrived in 1688 and were considerably augmented in the closing days of 1695 with a worthy force dedicated to the island's defense and maintenance of major civil engineering projects designed to indirectly benefit Adrestian interests abroad. The current governor of the Quarter is now, on the civilian side, the same Rear Admiral (ret.) Mechazawa, who has continued to throw himself into the city-state's development.
With the slow transition of Ralgonese naval power to its former subordinated Adrestian counterparts, the naval base and quarter have come under the solid rule of local Adrestian expats, with the seat on the Mandate Council being explicitly represented by Adrestia from the closing days of 1702 AN. Given the Ralgon Emperor Shiro's rapidly declining health, nobody remained in the beleaguered central government to oppose the move. Meanwhile, this same transition process went virtually unnoticed in the Mandate itself.
Residency Isle is the enclave of nationals of the Imperial State of Constancia, as well as the various factotums of the ubiquitous ESB Group and its associated factors, employees, and allied pursuits, organized under a Residency, hence its name. Utilities are the function of the ESB Group, and while a pro-forma Imperial Commissioner with plenipotentiary powers (usually a senior career civil or diplomatic service official pending retirement) is designated chief of the Imperial Constancian delegation, in practice this official defers to the Resident of the ESB Group who truly exercises all actual power and makes all decisions.
Downtown (Gang Town)
The City Hall was constructed in 1621 AN, under Jingdaoese rule, after the original municipal building burnt down after it was struck by lightning. The building acted more as a meeting place between the wealthiest entrepreneurs to discuss local law and edicts. Therefore, when it was rebuilt, large investments were made to make it extravagant.
During the Krasnocorian era, between 1665 and 1687 AN, the city council grew in power and influence. The first local elections happened in 1675, and the council was eventually dissolved when the Krasnocorian civil war erupted in 1687 AN. With the declaration of Tiegang as independent state, City Hall became the meeting place of the councillors of the Mandate Council.
As certain ethnicities and councillors can't stand each other, both verbal as fist fights have been reported as an occasional pastime (with the Ralgonese Saizo Mechazawa being unofficially named as current winner). Gambling between city clerks is not unusual, as some wager a bet about the outcome of a fight with their hard earned wages.
Central Independence Square
Remnants of a military ship, dating back to the Tyrenian independence days. A major tourist attraction.
The trading port, in addition to its shipping capabilities, also houses a terminal for the Apollonian Express' freighter and ferry services. Starting in 1717, ferry services began from the port to Jaris and Lausanne in Nouvelle Alexandrie. Shuttle buses are laid on to take connecting passengers between the port and the railway station, to allow them onward travel.
Mogui Prison Island
Located in the Bay, lies Mogui Prison Island, translated as devil prison island. It has acted as a place to lock up all kind of criminals. These days, most of the prisoners are forced to do some kind of labour as part of rehabilitation. The project was met with mixed results and received criticism from trade merchants, as they couldn't compete with the cheap labour prices of the prison management.
Corruption among prison staff has been reported to be rampant, but the Council has chosen to ignore matters as long as not too much excesses get leaked to the public.
King Nikolaj Park
Church of the Annunciation
Constructed during the Krasnocorian era, the Church of the Annunciation came under the purview of the Eparchy of Tiegang in 1687 AN. In 1693 AN, it was transferred to the Apostolic Church of Kezan for use as an embassy church and a vector for investment into the International Mandate. 1694 AN, the church foundation began purchasing properties throughout the surrounding neighborhood. In some cases, they were refurbished into affordable housing, others were converted for other purposes. By 1697 AN, the church foundation owned and operated a health clinic, a primary school, seven apartment buildings, a grocery shop, and a dry-cleaning service.
The district is located a fair way out of the city centre of Tiegang, and arose from developments which sprung up around the terminus of the Apollonian Express in the International Mandate and a dilapidated former Antican artillery fort, the latter of which became occupied by a den of unsavoury characters who called their establishment a "pub".
For those who do not mind remaining vigilant of their surroundings and of their personal safety at all times, the district has much to offer in terms of sensory experiences. However the casual visitor ought not to tarry too long, nor indulge overmuch, lest he awake on the next morning to find he has been enlisted into the Regiment of the Blackfriars' or incarcerated in Saint Richard's Asylum.
The district is also home to the prestigious School of the High Inquisitor of Tiegang, which has famously educated many of the great and good of Micras' political and social elites.
Despite its small size, Tiegang has a rich history: as it has been owned by several countries in the past, and emerged as an important trading hub near the Antican Sea, its culture became a mixture between the many peoples who visited and inhabited the peninsula. The several official languages ( Istvanistani, Jingdaoese, Krasnocorian, Batavian and Alexandrian Fransch) are proof of the nation's diversity. It's not uncommon to hear several languages being spoken during council meetings. Every citizen group is a staunch proponent of using its own language and dress code, leading to long and overcomplicated debates which often derail towards ethnic issues.
The Leylstadter Group, which speaks both fluent Batavian as Jingdaoese, often intermediates between the several factions. Ethnic tensions, from time to time, are common. Those tensions are often used by lobby groups and the garrisons of foreign powers, to push back legislation which would limit their influence. Attempts to increase the democratic voice of locals at the cost of the companies and military groups, have till now failed to bear fruit due to this division.