Treaty of Raynor's Keep
The treaty came to be after a few years of negotiations between Batavia and Shireroth on Batavian re-integration into Shireroth. For most of the 17th century, most of Batavia was split between Shireroth (first, as part of Vanic Elwynn, then, forming the Imperial Dominion of Batavia) or Jingdao. Jingdao formally rejoined Shireroth in 1707, which led to calls in Batavia to also rejoin Shireroth. Negotiations began shortly after the enactment of the Treaty of Gaelen's Landing.
Moreover, between the years 1686 and 1691, Batavia and Shireroth were in a personal union under Kaiseress Salome. In Batavia, however, she was not the queen or monarch, but rather the Stadtholder – a Steward of shorts until a new king or queen could be elected. There were calls to make her Queen in parts of the establishment, but Salome herself personally favoured the accession of the perennial candidate for Batavian kingship, David Raion, her cousin once removed, who had received support from the Ultraroyalists in Batavia. Officially, however, she had no opinion. In 1691, the Batavian parliament decided on a new king for Batavia, whereby the younger brother of the last king, Arkadius IV – Hendrik Leopold des Vinandy – was named king as Hendrik V. The new king had bad health, and by 1707, he had become more and more withdrawn, leading to further calls of reforming the government. It is around this time that the first calls for reintegration with Shireroth began. In 1711, Hendrik V finally abdicated, giving the throne to his oldest child, Frederik Alfons des Vinandy, who would now reign as Frederik II. The new king decided on full commitment to the Shirerithian reintegration plan, and spear-headed the final pieces of the negotiations, conducting them personally on behalf of Batavia.
Finally, Arkadius IV's own line is rehabilitated in Shireroth. Although Arkadius IV (later known as Mahmud bin Alsalam after his conversion to Craitism) did not live to see the day where his and his wife's citizenship would be restored, their children are rehabilitated and restored to the nobility of Shireroth. The most descendent of Arkadius IV, Hakim bin Alsalam, the present Shahanshah of Çakaristan, was restored to his father's suppressed peerage of Duke of Brandenburg. Although the land associated with the duchy no longer is under Shirerithian sovereignty, it marked a symbolic reconciliation within the Ayreon-Kalirion dynasty.
In 1651, Shireroth began the Auspicious Occasion, where the Vanic government in Elwynn was overthrown. The King of Elwynn of that time, Noah, was the second husband of Kaiseress Noor (though Shireroth would later controversially annul the marriage). King Noah's and Kaiseress Noor's daughter, Esther (later known as Fatima), was forced into exile and would never again see her former homeland. She would later marry Arkadius IV and become Queen consort of Batavia. With the rehabilitation of Mahmud's and Fatima's children, it is hoped that the scars from the injustices of the past might begin to heal.
With the outbreak of the Post-Chidao Troubles, Qyzylqaystan came under the rule of the Seishi Clique. This faction is said to be responsible for the Fatehpur and Manbai attacks. This situation caused Çakaristan to invade with the consent of the Xinshi Emperor. Despite the armed struggle, the Çakari not only conquered territory, but also the hearts of the Qyzyl. The operation was aimed at removing the Seishi Clique and restoring order. The Çakari organised their occupation under the Apollonian Security Assistance Force (ASAF), which prevented them from being perceived as a hostile occupying force by the majority of the population. After the unification of Jingdao and Çakaristan into the Great Apollonian Empire, the mission was terminated. The Second Kildarian Revolution proclaimed the Qyzyl People's Republic, which existed as an autonomous republic from the Democratic Apollonian Republic of Kildare.
The promises of the republic, its distance from the central government and Kildare's annexation to Shireroth caused unrest. After all, the area had never been part of Shireroth, there was no kinship with the Kaiseress. The question was asked aloud: "Who is she who rules over us?" With a rising number of scandals surrounding the ill-prepared Imperial Commissioners and low number of Shirerithian officers and legionaries, riots started to occur between 1708 and 1710 AN. Belief in the Heavenly Light also waned due to a lack of response - either due to a lack of interest, or cause She was occupied elsewere. Fearing that the whole area would fall into complete chaos, or even prey to foreign invaders, a council was gathered among rebelling tribes. Eventually it was composed of almost all the rulers and tribal leaders. Except for the Duke of Qyzylqaystan, who had fled to Jinkeai for the time being. The meeting arrived at a plea to the Shahanshah of Çakaristan to take Qyzylqaystan under his wing.
In short, the treaty provides for:
- The reintegration of Batavia into Shireroth
- Batavia remains a kingdom, split into feudal parts, but united under a democratic government under the Lagerhuis and Hogerhuis
- Ex-king Hendrik is given the ducal title "Duke of Gascony", thus becoming a member of Shireroth's imperial peerage.
- New king Frederik is given the ducal title "Duke of 's Koningenwaarde", thus becoming a member of Shireroth's imperial peerage.
- Shireroth cedes most of Qyzylqaystan to Çakaristan, keeping the County of Camoleo. The former Duke of Qyzylqaystan, Xuan of the Golden Tribe, is given the consolation prize of Count of Camoleo.
- Suppression of the title Duke of Brandenburg is lifted, recognized to be held by Hakim bin Alsalam.
The signing ceremony occurred in the throne room of Raynor's Keep, underneath the watching eye of the Kaiseress sitting on the Golden Mango Throne. Her steward, Chrysostom Wythe, Count of Woodshire, signed the treaty on behalf of Shireroth. As mentioned, Frederik II, King of Batavia, signed the treaty on behalf of his country. The newly elected Grand Vizier of Çakaristan, Dervish Çelebi, signed the treaty for Çakaristan in one of his first official acts since being sworn in.
Ratification and Prostration
Her Magnificence the Kaiseress, His Majesty the Shahanshah of Çakaristan, and His Majesty the King of Batavia, having been born into an era where their houses and dynasties are at dispute and discord with one another, and desirous of bringing an end to this discord and animosity, so that they may be cousins to one another once more, and in order to bring stability and harmony to the continents under their rule, and agreeing to allow the assimilation of Batavia into the Imperial Republic and to recognise the claim of Çakaristan on most of Qyzylqaystan, and for that purposes, they have agreed to make a treaty, and accordingly, appointed as their plenipotentiaries, for Her Magnificence the Kaiseress, His Serenity the Count of Woodshire, Imperial Steward, for His Majesty the Shahanshah of Çakaristan, His Excellency, Dervish Çelebi, Grand Vizier of Çakaristan, and His Majesty the King of Batavia, Ferdinand Alfons des Vinandy, who, having exchanged their accreditations and finding them to be in good form, have agreed as follows:
1. Cession of Sovereignty
- This Treaty, after having ratified by the Parties in accordance with their respective constitutional practices, enters force immediately upon His Majesty the King of Batavia prostrating himself before Her Magnificence the Kaiseress, and thus demonstrating the final cession of sovereignty of the Kingdom of Batavia to the Imperial Republic of Shireroth.
- Batavia, as part of Shireroth, will form a loyal part of the Imperial Republic. The nationality of the Kingdom of Batavia is transferred to the nationality of the Imperial Republic of Shireroth.
- Shireroth shall uphold all treaties of the Kingdom of Batavia in as much possible under Shirerithian law.
- The Collective Security Association shall, however, not bind Batavia or Shireroth.
- Both contracting parties agree that the Antican Sea Treaty is expired. Jingdao National Petroleum shall negotiate a private contract with the Çakari authorities.
2. The King of Batavia and Duke of 's Koningenwaarde
- The role of King befalls upon Frederik Alfons des Vinandy, whom shall establish the House of Vinandy-Paravel. His descendants will inherit the Throne.
- The Kingdom of Batavia shall form an imperial dominion; the King of Batavia will be granted the imperial peerage of Duke of 's Koningenwaarde (Hertog van 's Koningenwaarde), of the city of Kingsworth.
- The Hogerhuis will adopt a bill for the succession to the kingship of Batavia (and thus also for the duchy of 's Koningenwaarde), which will enter force upon the Kaiseress’s assent.
3. Nobility and Peerage
- All such persons belonging to the Batavian nobility will be considered nobles and citizens of the Imperial Republic in the ninth grade of citizenry.
- Only such titles that are made peerages under this Treaty or by the decree of the Kaiseress will be considered peerages.
4. Prince of Vinandy; Duke of Gascony
The Kaiseress recognizes the customary title of Prince of Vinandy as being held by Hendrik Leopold des Vinandy. She bestows upon him also the imperial peerage of Duke of Gascony, to hold the following territories: Blanckenhof Palace, Château Steenvoorde, Château des Vinandy and Jachtslot Wildenstein.
5. Duke of Brandenburg
- The Imperial Republic of Shireroth recognises the claim of the Çakar Empire to the territory of Qyzylqaystan, save for the bank along the Camoleo.
- The title of Duke of Qyzylqaystan is suppressed. The Kaiseress bestows upon the Xuan of the Golden Tribe the title, degree and dignity of Count of Camoleo, holding the remnant territory of the former Duchy of Qyzylqaystan still loyal to the Kaiseress.
7. International Cooperation
The Imperial Republic of Shireroth and the Çakar Empire shall continue to cooperate on matters of international and cross-border Apollonian cooperation, including but not limited to matters of international trade, logistics, railway network, the Micras Treaty Organisation, and on their shared cultural heritage in Apollonia.
In witness whereof, the aforementioned plenipotentiaries have signed their names and affixed their seals.
Done at Raynor's Keep this sixteenth day of the eighth month of the year of Norton, seventeen hundred and eleven.
For Her Magnificence the Kaiseress