|Chartered Province of Waffel Plains|
|16.6.6 - present|
|Largest city||Ayreon's Bay, Luix-Satyria|
|- Governor||Bernard Kayyk|
|- Legislature||Board of Coordinators|
|Establishment||Grunil 23, 1678|
The Chartered Province of Waffel Plains is a Natopian demesne. It was explored and settled by the Golden Sunset Expedition. It is a "chartered province" as it is governed by the charter of the Saint Andre Trading Company and the colonial charter in the Caprine Code. It was elevated from colony to province when briefly joined to Mar Sara as part of New Natopia.
The Need for a Colony
The settlement of Waffel Plains was first suggested around the time when the island of Mar Sara was transferred to Natopia from Shireroth in exchange for Leng. Prior to Natopian control over Mar Sara, the small demesnes of the Two Martyrs was Natopia's only possession in the area. Following the transfer of Leng, the territorial policy of Natopia began to favor consolidation. After the Kalirion Fracture and Elwynn independence, soon Normark began to agitate for a transfer to Elwynnese sovereignty. Natopia's new preference for consolidation was, in large part, thanks to its reliance and support of the Raspur Pact which allowed Natopia to use allied bases and ports instead of maintaining a globe-spanning empire that stretched logistical support to the limit.
With resources freed up following Normark's transfer to Elwynn, the Natopian government chartered SATCo to survey and settle the nearest open land: the eastern shore of Cibola. The presence of Mar Sara and Two Martyrs made Cibola the next logical step for future territorial expansion and the unofficial position of Natopia's government has been to focus all future development on Cibola. The Golden Sunset Expedition formally embarked in early 1678 and settled the first towns of Waffel Plains in late 1678.
First Five Years
From 1678 to 1683 the colony grew considerably. Under the expert administration of Governor Bernard Kayyk and a team of SATCo coordinators, advisors, and engineers, the various industries of the colony flourished. Population increased as the agriculture, mining, and trade industries grew. Nearly all aspects of life in the colony were controlled, or monitored, by the Company.
Relations with Goetia
The close proximity of the Community of Goetia was an initial concern for the surveyors. Aside from a few brief skirmishes, relations between the colony and the demon-worshipers was eventually stabilized with a trade agreement. SATCo exports all manner of goods, food, and manufactured items to Goetia and imports raw marble and gold from the Gateway and Gladius groups via Gathering Place.
In interests of maintaining an economic hegemony over the anarchist biker demonists, SATCo has used Waffel Plains as a way to control the Goetic community. A major project between Goetia and SATCo, the Gateway Western Expressway has secured a degree of compliance from the Goetics for several years at minimum and grants access to the stone and marble quarries that Natopia needs.
There is a highway between Gathering Place, Navigators, and Luix-Satyria that is only accessible to Goetics. By agreement, all Natopian roads must go over or tunnel under the Goetic highway. The ownership of the highway and land is legally ambiguous with some lawyers in Paine City suggesting Natopia owns the land itself, and the Goetics own the highway sitting on top of the land, while the Community of Goetia suggests these highways are sovereign territory of Goetia. So far no serious disagreements have arisen.
Initial counts of the colony's population estimated that 2.4 million residents had settled in the colony during the first 2 years. According to the colony's charter issued by the Frenzy, the Board of Coordinators must not only prove population growth and sustainability, but also promote diversity among the colony's residents. As a result, immigration ratios have been implemented on Natopian demesnes and Raspur-allied nations to prevent a monoculture from developing in the colony. Of the total applicants for residency over each 30 day period, no more than 10% of total applicants can be admitted from the same sub-national unit.
Projections estimate that by 1683, the population of Waffel Plains will be about 9.6 million. The Board of Coordinators has always requested the Frenzy charter more cities or fast-track the colony to be merged into the Demesnes of Mar Sara-Asara to form a single regional Cibolan demesne that can handle its own affairs without permission from the Frenzy.
Under the colony's charter, the territory of the colony is divided into three Production Zones, each headquartered in a city with a Coordinator to govern the zone.
Production Zone #1 is located in the north, and headquartered in the colonial seat: Paine City. It manages agriculture, plans crops cycling, exports foodstuffs, and regulates food distribution to the rest of the colony.
Production Zone #2 is located in the middle, headquartered in Ayreon's Bay. It is primarily focused on constructing and managing the silver mines further inland. The port of Ayreon's Bay is one of the most secure ports on the eastern seaboard of Cibola due to the high volume of silver exported daily.
Production Zone #3 is located in the south and headquartered in the twin cities of Luix-Satyria. The governments of the two cities meet in joint council sessions each month and share several public utilities, a school district, public library system, and a combined tax base provides for other shared amenities. Luix is smaller and on the mainland. Satyria is larger and is on the island. Luix handles most of the direct affairs with the Goetics, shipping the raw gold and marble it receives in barges to Satyria. Luix also allows for a buffer between the Goetics and the outside world. Satyria has been built up to be a trade hub for the entire colony and serves as a distribution node between the colony, Two Martyrs, Mar Asara, and Cape Isabella.
Alexandrian Archaeology and Resettlement Program
In 1684, the Natopian Frenzy, formally ratified the colony's charter, six years after settlement began. The Imperial University of Alexandria in Triegon was selected to spearhead the excavation of the ancient sites of Geneva and Edgardia. As per the Caprine Code, all relics found would be the property of the House of Carrillo Association. Once the ancient cities were sufficiently examined and preserved, the House of Carrillo Association would begin the process of vetting descendants of Alexandrians willing to resettle and rebuild the two cities.
By Tasneber 1684, research teams from universities across Natopia began to arrive in Paine City. The city was not equipped to handle a large influx of academics, to support their long-term stay, process and preserve relics, or serve as a point of entry for eventual Alexandrian resettlers. The Board of Coordinators thus created Zone 0, inside Zone 1, which included Paine City, Geneva and Edgardia, and appointed a new Coordinator with the authority to facilitate the advancement of the AARP.
Zone 0 Development
Charlotte Roux was appointed Coordinator for Zone 0 and delegated administrative powers in order to develop Paine City into an academic and research city capable of handling the large number of Alexandrian relics that were expected. Her first order was to establish the University of Cibola which would work as the local counterpart to the Imperial University of Alexandria in Treigon. She hoped that, with imperial support the university would become the premier institute of Cibolan studies, history, and culture.
Her second order was to expedite the construction of residential blocks, anticipating the influx of long-term researchers, students, support staff and the service industry that would follow to support them. Although Paine City was founded as a planned community by SATCo, the original urban planning program was not suitable any longer. Roux called in city planners from Borders City, another planned city that was also largely built around a single industry, and commissioned a master city plan to develop Paine City into a world-class academic research destination city. Aside from the roughly-founded colonial center, the rest of city and the new University of Cibola would be entirely planned together and intertwined.
The Board of Coordinators also decided that Paine City's status as colonial capital may be reconsidered due to the large scale nature of the AARP project and the eventual goal of integrating Waffel Plaines into Two Martyrs and Mar Sara. with this blessing, Charlotte Roux began to set up the perfect academic city, without concern for governmental infrastructure needs, even going so far as to suggest that the centerpiece of the new university campus be an actual Mar Saran ivory tower.
She also ordered several large-scale infrastructure projects to begin including paved roads connecting Paine City, Edgardia, and Geneva; expanding the Paine City airport, and expanding the cargo port east of Paint City on the River des Char estuary. Construction on the first Zone 0 projects would be scheduled to begin in early 1685.
The timeline for Waffel Plains to be fully integrated into the Bovic Empire as a demesne was expedited by desires for greater autonomy in Two Martyrs, which sought to be a demesne without any territorial dependencies. This left the status of Mar Sara in question. As the colony was proceeding as expected, with greater and greater numbers of settlers, students, researchers, contractors, and other service people coming to Paine City to help with the AARP, it was decided that Waffel Plains and Mar Sara would become a new demesne named New Natopia. Since Mar Sara was under the Chancellor's Minister of Security, and the Colony was under SATCo control, both regions would be administered by the Office of the Chancellor (as majority stake-holder of SATCo).
The original timeline called for Waffel Plains to become a demesne, or part of one, ten years after it was settled in 1678. The Caprine Code required various Imperial agencies to provide reports on Waffel Plains' development and to ensure good governance while in the hands of SATCo. Those reports are as follows:
- Chancellor's Ministry of Security (Population Demographics): Population growth stable, inward migration predominantly from densely populated regions (New Alexandrians 17%, Ziegelanders 17%, Neemians 16%, Neridians 16%, Universals 12%, and Klaasiyans 17%) Immigration ratios maintained diversity of population from 4 Natopian Demesnes to prevent a majority-monoculture from dominating the new area.
- Emperor's Court of the Verdant Garden (Viability): Position of Waffel Plains potentially vulnerable near Vanic Arcadia. Recommend increased NDF presence and fortifications, bases, ports, air fields; promote long term settlement of the continent; secure an Area of Defensibility around the Jasonian Ocean to such a degree that Vanic-occupied territories within the area are rendered non-threatening.
- Chancellor's Ministry of Information (Ecology): Reports show acceptable levels of impact on the environment in the colony.
- Overall Report: Viability dependent on long-term commitment to the area and establishing Cibola-Tapfer as a permanent new axis of Natopia control to complement the existing Arboria-Neridia-Tapfer axis.
In 1685, the colony of Waffel Plains was added to Mar Sara, which was in a demesne union with Whales. Waffel Plains was thus given demesne status a few years earlier that originally intended. In 1690, Mar Sara was separated from Waffel Plains, thus leaving the original colony as a full-status demesne on its own. As the province is administered by SATCo and SATCo is controlled by the Imperial government, it remains a colony in some regards. However, with demesne status, the residents of Waffel Plains are fully represented in the Frenzy and are full and equal citizens of the Bovic Empire without any legal distinction hindering them as residents of a colony.