Constitution of the Bovic Empire of the Natopian Nation (1675-1719)
The Constitution of the Bovic Empire of the Natopian Nation was the constitutional framework that described the government of Natopia from 1675 AN until 1719 AN. It originally replaced an informal collection of constitutional sections that were a part of the Caprine Code. The Caprine Code was itself a legal remnant from the transitional period after the reign of the Butter Bull, who suspended the former constitution in 1567 AN. For nearly a century after the Butter Bull's departure from Micras in 1572 AN, the Natopian Empire was governed by an informal constitution derived from Acts passed under the ultimate legislative authority of the Frenzy. The new constitution was initially passed by the Frenzy and promulgated by the Emperor on 23 Cowtide, 1675 AN. This later revision essentially codified the government structure that had developed naturally over the preceding century. When the Caprine Code became too long and legally outdated, it was decided to separate the constitutional sections into a formal constitution and rewrite the Caprine Code as the nation's legal code.
The Constitution of the Bovic Empire of the Natopian Nation was in force from 1675 AN to 1719 AN, when a major revision occurred during the Natopian reintegration process, following the adoption of the Imperial Proclamation of Unity in 1717 AN. This proclamation included a finalized draft of a new Natopian Constitution, which was ratified simultaneously by the Frenzies of Western and Eastern Natopia, and approved in a national referendum on 4.XIV.1717 AN.
Text of the Constitution
The Natopian Nation is defined by its perseverance, resourcefulness, creativity, and diversity. These are the strengths of Our Nation, and the qualities that we all hold high above others, defining us as Natopians. This common pride, and not the circumstances of our birth, is what binds us together as Natopians. As Natopians we seek to create ever more perfect ways to organize and govern ourselves, so that we all may prosper. That is why the Natopian Nation has chosen to codify its governing laws into this constitution, so that the government at the service of the Natopian Nation shall always serve the People without ambiguity, and that the various arms of that government have clearly defined and separated powers, and that the government can act to protect the People, the Nation, the State, and the Land we depend on.
Article I - The Natopian Nation
1. The sovereign Natopian state is known as the Bovic Empire of the Natopian Nation; it consists of many peoples and nations, seeking prosperity and justice, united together under the Emperor of the Natopians.
2. The government of the Bovic Empire of the Natopian Nation empowers the Natopian people above all and is a representative democracy, with only essential and emergency powers reserved for the monarch and executive for limited use.
3. The Natopian Nation refers to all peoples, nations, ethnicities, races, tribes, bands, and other groups that proclaim and possess citizenship and allegiance to the Natopian state.
4. A person is born into the Natopian Nation if one of their parents is a Natopian at the time of birth; or if the person is born within Natopian jurisdiction. Any other person may pursue Natopian citizenship through a formal immigration process.
5. The Cross of Sovereignty is the oldest and most important symbol of Natopia and represents the Natopian people at the core, surrounding themselves with a protective government, and using the government to hold their four most cherished and essential rights: freedom, justice, peace, and equality.
6. The motto of Natopia is "Peace Through Silent Oppression," a sober reminder of the early totalitarian governments that the Natopian Nation actively reformed over generations, and a call to the Natopian Nation to remain vigilant against oppression.
7. The capital of Natopia is Lindström, which shall not be part of, or governed by, any demesne. The Imperial Government and all agencies and bureaus will meet in Lindström if practical.
8. To assist in communication among the various peoples of the Natopian Nation, the official administration language of Natopia is Natspeak. No local, cultural, ancient, or minority language shall ever be suppressed by Natopian laws.
9. The government of Natopia will protect the Natopian people and defend their inherent rights to freedom, justice, peace, and equality.
10. The Dozan Bovic Church and the Bovinist religion has a special and formal relationship with the Natopian Nation; however adherence to any religion shall never be used to discriminate against a person.
Article II - The Emperor
1. The Emperor will defend this Constitution, protect the Natopian Nation from all threats foreign and domestic, display exemplary moral and civic character, and serve as a living symbol of Natopian unity.
2. Executive power over foreign affairs and responsibility for defense of the Nation is vested in the Emperor of the Natopians and exercised through His Most Bovic Majesty's Imperial Court.
3. The Emperor holds power to regulate and define the structure, officers, and symbols of the Imperial Court.
4. The Emperor is the Head of State, a symbol of the Empire of Natopia and guardian of the unity of the Natopian Nation. .
5. The Emperor appoints ambassadors, liaisons, and delegates to foreign states, entities, and organizations and receives foreign heads of state, ambassadors, ministers and other envoys
6. The Emperor grants amnesty, commutes punishments, and issues pardons.
7. The Emperor is commander-in-chief of the Natopian Defense Force, with the traditional and customary military rank of Grand Commander.
8. The Emperor issues Imperial Decrees that have the authority of law to conduct matters as head of state; to administer foreign and military affairs; regulate and administer his Imperial Court; to protect and enforce their Instrument of Succession; to create and bestow titles, honors, and awards; and to temporarily govern the entire Imperial Government in such dire national emergencies as declared by the Frenzy.
9. The Emperor remains in his authority until the Emperor's uncontested death or abdication.
10. An uncontested death is irrefutable public evidence of the Emperor's death.
11. An abdication is written by the Emperor's own hand and is submitted to the Frenzy.
12. The Emperor maintains an Instrument of Succession. In the event of the Emperor's uncontested death or abdication, the first person in the order of succession becomes Emperor.
13. The Pentheros of the Dozan Bovic Church confers Bous' divine approval of the new Emperor by officiating the new Emperor's ceremonial coronation. During the coronation, the Emperor must swear or affirm an oath to maintain, expand, and protect the Natopian Nation and Dozan Bovic Church.
14. The Emperor must appoint a Regent and the Regent must be able fulfill all critical responsibilities of the Emperor during any absence of the Emperor that exceeds three continuous Norton months (6 Gregorian days).
15. There will be no other self-styled emperors or kings in the Bovic Empire; except ancient royal titles and kings of sovereign nations that have since entered into the Bovic Empire.
Article III - The Frenzy
1. All legislative powers shall be vested in a Frenzy of the Bovic Empire.
2. The Frenzy shall be divided into a Lesser Frenzy composed of Representatives elected by the citizens, and a Greater Frenzy composed of Senators chosen by the governments of the Demesnes.
3. No citizen shall be a Senator or a Representative who shall not be a resident of that Demesne for which they shall be chosen.
4. The Frenzy creates laws that govern the Bovic Empire, known as the Caprine Code.
5. The Caprine Code's authority extends to all territories, demesnes, and other jurisdictions where the Empire or any entity of the Empire has the authority to govern.
6. Acts of Frenzy become law when passed by a majority of members present in both Divisions of the Frenzy and given assent by the Emperor. The law is then added to the Caprine Code by the Chancellor.
7. The Frenzy, by passing Resolutions, may direct Imperial officials to act in accordance with the Constitution and Caprine Code, enact the ratification process of a treaty or other agreement, overturn Chancellorial and Imperial Decrees, claim additional land for the Empire, cede Imperial land, redraw internal boundaries, rename cities, issue city charters, or any other similar action to ensure effective governing.
8. Any Senator or Representative may propose a Bill for consideration.
9. The Lesser Frenzy and the Greater Frenzy may independently determine the rules of its proceedings, punish its own members for disorderly behavior, and, by a two-thirds majority, expel its own member.
10. The Emperor, through the process of granting Imperial Assent, approves an Act of Frenzy. Only bills that receive approval through Imperial Assent shall be made into Law and added to the Caprine Code. Bills that do not receive the approval of the Emperor within seven (7) days after being dispatched to the Emperor for his Assent shall be passed into Law with Imperial Assent being automatically assumed.
11. The Emperor, by issuing a veto, returns a Bill back to the Frenzy, attached with an explanation from the Emperor of the veto, and can only be overturned by a three-fifth's (3/5's) vote of the Frenzy.
Article IV - The Chancellor
1. Executive power over domestic affairs is vested in the Chancellor of the Bovic Empire.
2. The Chancellor presides over the Frenzy, maintains the Library of Law, serves as Head of Government, executes the will of the Frenzy, upholds and enforces the Constitution and the Caprine Code, oversees immigration, grows and maintains the economy, presents Bills passed by the Frenzy to the Emperor for Imperial Assent, advises the Emperor on domestic concerns, and administers the normal affairs of government.
3. The Chancellor issues Chancellorial Decrees that have the authority of law when the Frenzy is unable to convene or in matters of national emergency.
4. The Chancellor appoints a cabinet of ministers to the Imperial Chancellery, to advise and assist them. Ministries are established in the Caprine Code.
5. For a vacancy in the office resulting from the resignation or death of a chancellor, the Emperor nominates a citizen that will have the confidence of the Frenzy, and following a vote of confidence for the chancellorial nominee, swears the nominee in as Chancellor.
6. The Chancellor designates one of the appointed cabinet-level officials as a Deputy to assume the duties of the Chancellor during a temporary vacancy of the office
7. The Chancellor issues Executive Orders to fulfill their office's obligations. Executive Orders are instruments of government to instruct government officials where the Imperial Chancellery has jurisdiction to govern.
8. The Chancellor may be removed from office only by a constructive vote of no confidence passed by the Frenzy that also names a replacement chancellorial nominee that would have confidence of the Frenzy.
Article V - The Judicial Courts
1. The judicial powers of Natopia are vested in The Court of the Noble Fountain and in such inferior courts that are established by Frenzy or demesnial law.
2. The Court is customarily within His Most Bovic Majesty's Imperial Court. It is chaired by the Emperor, and is composed of the Secretary for Legal Advice and at least one Legal Adviser(s).
3. The Secretary and Legal Adviser(s) of the Court are appointed for twelve (12) year terms;
4. Candidates are nominated by the Emperor and confirmed by the Frenzy;
5. After the Secretary's term has expired, the Emperor may recommend the Secretary's term to be reconfirmed to another 12 years by the Frenzy; the Secretary may recommend the Legal Adviser(s)'s term to be reconfirmed for another 12 years by the Frenzy.
6. An appointee takes office after swearing an Oath; the wording of the Oath shall be determined by the Emperor.
7. Membership of the Court shall only cease on occasion of one of the following: a written resignation delivered to the Emperor; the death of a Member; a vote of the Frenzy to remove the Secretary and/or Legal Adviser(s) that receives a majority of two thirds and a confirmation by the Emperor.
8. The jurisdiction of the Court is limitless provided that at least one Party to a case is associated with the Empire.
9. A decision made by the Court: is taken with a simple majority of the Emperor, Secretary, and Legal Adviser(s); is final and cannot be challenged or overruled unless so decided by the Court itself; takes immediate effect and requires immediate implementation, unless otherwise specified.
10. The Court defines its own procedures and practices.
11. If the Emperor, Secretary, and/or Legal Adviser(s) is named as respondent in a case before the Court, then they will recuse themselves from deliberations.
Article VI - Enactment, Amendments, and Other Provisions
1. This Constitution shall supersede and remove the constitutional sections of the Caprine Code.
2. This Constitution will be ratified and enacted once approved by a 3/4 majority vote of the Frenzy and being Promulgated by the Emperor.
3. This Constitution is the supreme law of Natopia and no law, decree, order, or command may go against it.
4. An Act of Frenzy, passed by a 3/4 majority and granted Assent by the Emperor, may amend this Constitution.
5. It shall be assumed that all parts of the Imperial Government that existed under the constitutional sections of the Caprine Code and will continue to exist under this Constitution will persist as the same legal entities, under their present administrators and officers, once this Constitution has been ratified and enacted.
6. The enactments of this Constitution does not affect or interrupt any of the Bovic Empire's foreign obligations, debts, treaties, or other relationships.
Article III of the constitution was amended in 1684 to create a bicameral national legislature. The Frenzy was divided into a Greater Frenzy, of senators appointed or elected by the demesnes, and a Lesser Frenzy of elected representatives.