Blanckenhof Palace (Batavian: Paleys Blanckenhof) was constructed as a palace of King Arkadius IV, where he, with his wife and children, lived while working at the Koninklijk Paleis. Since his retirement, the palace came in hands of the Royal Cabinet. The palace is located northwest of 's Koningenwaarde. The baroque palace with 1441 rooms is one of the most important architectural, cultural and historical monuments in the country.
In 1685 AN, a joint session of the Lagerhuis and Hogerhuis gathered under Paulus de Withe to approve constitutional reforms to combat the syndicalist and foreign threats. The Blanckenhof Accords were passed with a large majority of both houses.
King Leopold II des Vinandy had a hunting lodge built at the location of the palace. Its construction was never finished and the structure was set on fire by the unrest in 1733 (Gregorian). The territory has remained in possession of the House of Vinandy since that time. During the kingship of Arkadius II des Vinandy there were plans to build a palace, but they were not implemented.
After the ascension of Arkadius IV des Vinandy, he realized that the Royal Palace in the center of ’s Koningenwaarde is not fully adequate to withdraw from the hectic bustle of the city. When it turned out that the piece of land was still owned by the family and was extremely suitable for a new palace, the king had a design made. When asked what the name of this palace would be, the King thought of his beloved. The name "Blanckenhof" refers to the name meaning of Clara, namely "clear" and "light". Since their marriage, Arkadius Frederik Gustavus des Vinandy and Clara Sundara have been living in the palace. And Elisabeth Asara and Karel Kyle were born in this palace.
After the divorce of Arkadius and Clara, the king and his children went to live in Jachtdenlot Wildenstein near Vinandy. Until the marriage between Arkadius and Esther was imminent. A night concert was organized in the gardens of the palace, marking the return of the king for many Batavians. When the newlywed couple were on their honeymoon, various rooms in the palace were renovated. The most important change in the palace is that all paintings with the ex-wife of the king have been removed, as well as the design of thermae (imperial bathhouse). Complete with a Babkhan steam bath, sauna, beer spa and swimming pool.
Directly behind the palace is a baroque garden. A symmetry of straight paths, large lawns with planting beds, or parterres, shaved hedges and flower beds in clean lines. A small baroque garden can be found on the west side of the palace, adjacent to a rose garden. To the west of the large baroque garden is a maze of hedges.
To the east of the large baroque garden is the botanical garden, where a collection of trees and shrubs has been planted from all over Micras. Part of the botanical garden is the Palmenhuys, where the tropical trees and plants can be found.
The original plans also included a zoo, but Arkadius IV rejected it, due to the expected noise. The only thing that has been built is the tropical butterfly garden. The remaining part that was intended for the zoo is laid out as a landscape garden. No symmetrical paths or hedges can be found here in clear lines. There is a tea house on the pond.
The gardens are surrounded by the Waarder Woud, so that the palace is shielded from the surroundings.
Open to the public
Although the palace is privately owned by Arkadius IV, the palace is regularly open to the public. This is when the king himself is absent. The most beautiful halls in the palace can then be viewed, as well as the gardens and stables. If present, the car collection of the king can be seen in the stables.
The gardens and the rear facade of the palace are also the perfect backdrop for concerts.