Krull Palace

From MicrasWiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Krull House, known as the Krull Opera House (1563–1633) and Krull Palace (known 1633–1652) was a landmark in central Eliria, Elwynn, demolished in 1674. Commissioned by Duchess Isabelle Allot in 1558 as an opera house and centre for native Elwynnese musical arts, the building was completed in 1563 (after the end of her reign) and the building gained the name Krull after its architects (and married couple) Colwyn and Lyssa Krull who died in a traffic accident days before the building's inauguration. Situated on the southernmost point of the outermost ring of the Canal District at the terminus of the Avenue of the Workers' Revolution.

As an opera house, it was Elwynn's first, and it helped integrate native Elwynnese musical arts and traditions into high culture within Elwynnese society. As such, the building became a physical landmark for Elwynnese culture, and thereby a symbol for Elwynnese nationhood. After the first Elwynnese independence, achieved in 1567, its symbolism diminished somewhat, as large scale constructions of new Elwynnese official buildings were quickly made – for a new legislature, government offices, supreme court, and so on. However, the Elwynnese Senate was bombed in the Senate Hostage Crisis of 1589 (in which Elwynn's prince Nathan was murdered), the Opera House, regained its symbolism as a gathering point for the Elwynnese nation when the Senate began its following sessions there.

Once Elwynn had, after electoral fraud and an autocoup engineered by "Prince" Jacobus Loki, rejoined Shireroth in 1600, the opera house was closed to the public and acted simply as government auditoriums for internal conferences. The symbolism of the building remained in the public consciousness however, which is why the Vanic government of Elwynn, in 1633, declared the building the seat of the Elwynnese Vanic monarchy. Extensive refurbishment occurred 1633–1635 (where towers and heavy decorations were added to the previously somewhat austere shell of a building) to become the seat of royal Vanic government in Elwynn under King Noah. After the Auspicious Occasion in 1651, when Noah was deposed and went into exile in Stormark, the building housed his successor and son Vilhjalm who was briefly king of Elwynn until the abolishment of the monarchy in Elwynn in 1653. The building was then quickly converted to temporary social housing for persons homeless from the destruction of homes during the calamities in the city during the Auspicious Occasion.

In 1660, the fate of the building was in question. Engineers found faults with the construction of the building (stemming from the 1633–5 refurbishment which added significant weight on the beams and foundations). The building was cleared out and converted into a temporary museum, the first seasons on Vanic paraphernalia to thereafter expand to modern Elwynnese post-Vanic art.

Elirian municipal authorities declared the building unfit for use, citing the constructional abnormalities on the building, in 1674 and planned for its controlled demolition which occurred in the winter of 1675.