Hi everyone, this is Ryker, your unusual chairman for the Fnord Awards. We're about to begin the 2022 Fnord awards, for any work or event that occurred in the year of 2022. We'll announce the winners on Fnord Month (January of 2023), which in the calendar of Norton would be the 1716th year of the anniversary of the death of Emperor Norton. And let's give my predecessor, Ric, a big hand for hosting this little tradition so well in yearns past (and for all the work he did that I'm shamelessly copy/pasting)
PM Ryker for expressing interest! In the interest of fairness, diverse viewpoints, and bettering our ability to cover each submission, new judge applicants may not have served in the 2021 Fnord.
- Ryker is non-voting (unless tie-breaking) chair.
- Lo Zar
- young Ed
I will ask for nominations for any of the old categories or any new categories. Please include links (where appropriate) for any references, please also include motivations. Also, when you nominate, please sign four tildes in a row (~~~~). Nominate away!
List yer nominations here
- Ed Sr. - nominated by Ric, 10 Jan 23
- Jack - nominated by Ric, 10 Jan 23
- Jonas - nominated by Ric, 10 Jan 23
- Seconded by Gustaaf/Arky, 14 Jan 23
- Mondo - nominated by Ric, 10 Jan 23
- Ardy, for maintaining a prodigious output of high-quality material - nominated by Mondo, 10 Jan 23
- Jack, for instigating the Verionist–Humanist peace - nominated by Ric, 10 Jan 23
- Walstadt and Lanzerwald for resolving their conflict through military violence. - Nominated by Raz, 10 Jan 23
Best Revolutionary Concept
- AI for creating texts and pictures for us - nominated by Ric, 10 Jan 23
- Malliki's Micras Democracy Index - a fun exercise to help politically contextualise the nations across Micras, with great input from those who participated in his smart survey. Craitman (talk) 20:24, 10 January 2023 (UTC)
- Mondo, for translating random squiggles about Akhidia, after being surprisingly gifted the country, to a coherent narrative that fits the Mondosphere - nominated by Ric, 10 Jan 23
- Raz, for stuff in Cibola - nominated by Ric, 10 Jan 23. Seconded by Mondo on same day.
- Orion for Lac Glacei and Angsax - while currently on the map in one guise or another, the historical tie-ins and development have been notable. Craitman (talk) 20:24, 10 January 2023 (UTC)
- Ed Sr for simulating media in Nouvelle Alexandrie - nominated by Ric, 10 Jan 23
- Ric for making the video result of Microvision song Contest 2022 - nominated by Zar, 10 Jan 23
- Arky, for being the only one with mental energy and sufficient creativity, to make literature - nominated by Ric, 10 Jan 23.
Best New Nation
- Daau - nominated by Ric, 10 Jan 23
- Vegno - nominated by Ric, 10 Jan 23
- Krasnovlac - nominated by Ed Jr., 10 Jan 23
Best New Participant
- Clovis - Established a new, unique nation on Micras, heavily got involved in community activities, and established himself as a member of the FMF#Executives thanks to his enthusiasm and skillset. Craitman (talk) 20:24, 10 January 2023 (UTC)
'Tis But a Flesh Wound
- The FNORDS, for two decades of persistence, contrary to reason. Continuator (talk) 13:30, 10 January 2023 (UTC)
- Vegno, for the Motorsport revival Continuator (talk) 15:34, 10 January 2023 (UTC)
- Seconded. Not even close for me, LoZar's work at getting the community's first genuine motorsports series on the go in about 15 years, and keeping with it to simulate a lengthy calendar's worth of races, has shifted a good deal of focus away from the usual sporting suspects. Craitman (talk) 20:24, 10 January 2023 (UTC)
- Thirded by Edgard (talk) - Enthusiastic third!! (I know, phrasing!)
- Joe for contributions to women’s football. EF2000 (talk) 16:11, 10th January 2023
- Barnaby, for running countless nations' football leagues with productive output. Ric (talk) 16:30, 10 January 2023 (UTC)
- Second by Gustaaf/Arky, 14 Jan 23
- Hugging Face AI – for churning out avatars. - nominated by Ric, 10 Jan 23
- [KSN] Clovis – for all football graphics made, especially in the first half of 2022 - nominated by Zar, 10 Jan 23
- Ardy - for his AI images - nominated by Jonas, 10 Jan 23
- Seconded. Anyone can churn out AI stuff on a whim, so I can't support the platform itself being nominated, but Ardy's examples have shown a real skill in being able to find the right combinations of words to bring his atrocities to believable visual dubiousness. Craitman (talk) 20:24, 10 January 2023 (UTC)
- Third by Edgard (talk) - Craitman's comments are so dead on - Ardy has really shown skill in making the AI work. Something I'm beginning to notice is that to stay relevant for the future in the "real world", I hear a lot that we should develop the skill of *knowing* how to talk to an AI. Ardy can teach a masterclass on it.
- Cup of Tea, for specialized maps in Nouvelle Alexandrie - nominated by Ric, 10 Jan 23
- Gustaaf/Arkadius- for his continued work with the detailed Çakaristan map - nominated by Jonas, 10 Jan 23
- Arky, for navigating between various world factions with his dignity intact - nominated by Ric, 10 Jan 23
It ain't much, but it's honest work
I'm keeping this new category for pixel-wise small nations that have a decent quality output throughout the year.
Another new award courtesy of Mondo's mechinations. The Fnord for Leadership is meant for nominees who have shown great abilities in diplomacy and geopolitical victories.
- Salome/Octy, for reversing Shireroth's fortunes - nominated by Mondo, 10 Jan 23
- Second by Gustaaf/Arky, 14 Jan 23
- Primo de Aguilar, for his leadership across Nouvelle Alexandrie, Ransenar, Constancia, Suren, the Benacian Union, Natopia... and everywhere in between! - nominated by Edgard (talk).
Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the end of this 20th Fantasy/Simulated Norton Awards, where we celebrate and honor the best and brightest in our weird worlds and wikis.
We gather to recognize the individuals, institutions, and nations that have excelled in impressing four internet strangers, and to bestow upon them the highest and most venerable honor of the FNORDs.
- In the category of Overall Achievement, the winner of the ol' Odlum Award, give it up for Ardy, who has made significant contributions across projects month on month and demonstrated exceptional abilities in adapting to modern AI.
- For Conflict Resolution, the Abbas Namvari & Charles Beard Award goes to Waldstadt and Lanzerwald, who have proven once again that the most effective way to resolve any conflict is through violence.
- In the area of most Revolutionary Concept, the Micra's Democracy Index takes the prize for its innovative and creatively inspiring approach to analyzing the national governments of Micras.
- The winner of the Cultural Development "Bill Dusch" Award this year is Mondo, who has adapted their new Akhidian holdings to the Mondosphere in a way that seems to enrich both equally.
- In the field of History, the FNORDs recognizes Orion with the RIMA Award for Excellence in History for their extensive knowledge and understanding of the past and its impact on current work in Lac Glacei and Angsax.
- The Norton Award for Excellence in the Field of Journalism goes to Ed Sr., who has shed light on important stories and political developments, routinely bringing them into the global conversation, all through their own simulated media.
- The recipient of the Peter Little Award for Excellence in Micronational Literature is Arky, who has crafted captivating stories in a near desert of Micran literature.
- In the Best New Nation category, Vegno has been chosen for their impressive growth and development in several fields in just this short time.
- The Best New Participant award goes to Clovis, who has enthusiastically dived into the community and thrived, particularly in the FMF where they've already begun to shine as an executive.
- In the category of Tis But a Flesh Wound, the FNORDs recognize... the FNORDs for thei- no wait, our?.. for our resilience and determination in the face of temporal entropy and internet apathy and for refusing to give up in the face of failure.
- The winner of the Award for Sport is Vegno, who has shown a much appreciated talent in reviving the lost art of Micran motorsports!
- In the realm of Art, the FNORD goes to Clovis, for their football graphic work which wowed the FMF and the larger sports community earlier last year.
- The recipient of the Cartography award is New Yoda, who has skillfully crafted specialized maps for the vast territories of Nouvelle Alexandrie.
- For Diplomacy, we recognize Arky, who has effectively navigated the complexities of international relations, fostering peace and cooperation among nations and kept his dignity intact while doing it.
- For It Ain't Much, But It's Honest Work, the winner is Vegno, who has shown hard work, dedication, and a strong work ethic in their endeavors.
- And finally, in the category of Leadership, the FNORDs honor Primo de Augiller, who has demonstrated exceptional vision, guidance, and direction in their role as a leader across a slew of projects.
Congratulations to all of our winners, and thank you to all who have participated and contributed. I encourage you all to enjoy another great year of creative fun and can't wait to see what's up for nomination next time.
And that concludes tonight's FNORDs ceremony. Thank you, and good night!