Flag of the Antican people
|Regions with significant populations|
|Antican Istvanistani, Krasnocorian|
|Providentialism, Holodomatic School, Nazarene Catholicism, Church of the Bulgarians, Umraism|
The Anticans are a polyethnic people that originated from southeastern Apollonia. At their height, they governed a series of regional power states, namely the Dinarchy of Antica, the Republic of Antica, and the Second Antican Republic. Their population has now, as a result of the collapse of the Second Antican Republic and the occupation of its core territory by other powers, with the remaining territory falling into anarchy, divided between a diaspora primarily focused on the Shirerithian island of Kezan, where the ancestral traditions were preserved, with the remainder distributed amongst partially assimilated populations found in the present-day country of Krasnocoria and, to a lesser extent, Jingdao. Their total population is unknown, yet with the large amount of Anticans in the green it is hard to know how many ethnic Anticans truly remain. However, there are at least 13.3 million Anticans who have been confirmed to live in the nations of Krasnocoria and Shireroth.
Antican Ethnic Groups
Anticans traditionally viewed themselves as being divided into a set of ethnic groups, or tribes. These tribes were organized into two categories, Antiate Tribes and Aperiate Tribes. These are in accordance with Antican Legend, which link the Antiates together as descended from the sons of Anteus, while the Aperiates are together descended from various children of Aperys.
Each of the legendary tribes were associated with an archaic state or distinctive people from before the Dual Monarchy in Aquilaria. After that point onward, the distinction between the two classes of tribe blurred. The Dinarchy imposed Platean culture as the standard for the state, which, in combination with increased mobility and western settlement projects helped to create a unifying Antican culture, with regional distinctiveness preserved to varying degrees.
- Antiate Tribes:
- Kaikiates (Καικιαται) - established Kingdom of Kaikias
- Glauiates (Γλαυιαται) - absorbed into Platea
- Nafticates (Ναυτικαται) - established the League Nafticon
- Plateans (Plateani) - Aquilarian League et al., later Province of Platea
- Enealians (Enealiani) - absorbed into Platea
- Salsicans (Salsicanoi) - merged with Phedodans as their elite class
- Aperiate Tribes:
- Phedodans (Phedodani) - established Kingdom of Phedodah
- Aepyates (Αιπυαται) - absorbed into Kaikias
- Korhali (Corrali)*
- Aryashti (Ariasti)*
The Korhali and Aryashti maintained a level of autonomy and distinctive culture into historical time. The Korhali had become fully assimilated during the First Republic, while the Aryashti successfully maintained a distinct culture up to and beyond the end of the Second Republic and the diaspora.
As of 2017, out of 9,466,517 self-identified Anticans, 51.4% of them were male and 48.6% female. 66.9%, or 6,334,087 individuals, were living in poverty, and their average income was Cr4,934. 79.0% had employment, and 9.8% of individuals over age 26 had college degrees.
- Elbijun (Istvanistani: Albion, 4,921,545)
- Silvensku (Istvanistani: Sylvania, 2,844,067)
- Fedursku (Istvanistani: Phedodah, 1,604,809)
- Kezan (Antican Kezanites: 1,188,069)
- the Skerries (subsequently evacuated)
- ^ See also: Anticans (Shirewiki article)