History of Talenore

From MicrasWiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Early history

  • Prehistoric times: Not much is known about human settlement on Talenore island during prehistoric times. Due to the high degree of urbanization on the island in modern times, any ruins or remains from prehistoric times have either been lost or buried under the city. The Great Fire of 1467 affected a large part of the settlement on the island at that time. During the fire, the central archives building was completely destroyed, taking with it any knowledge of the earliest settlements.


  • Free Republic 1449-1467: The first recorded settlement on the island was a penal colony from the Free Republic, the then rulers of the island. The first prisoners arrived in early 1450. This initial period was marked with conflict and deaths, as a large number of settlers succumbed to tropical diseases found in the area. Given its status as a penal colony, the national authorities had little interest in providing more than the most basic aid.
  • The Treesian period 1468-1490: When the Free Republic withdrew from the area, sovereignty over the island was asserted by Treesia. The island was largely left to its own devices and the population, now numbering only in the thousands, led a life in relative isolation. The 22 years of Treesian rule was primarily evident in a change of flag outside the local administration building.
  • Apollo Foundation 1490-1498: The island once again changed hands in 1490 when the Apollo Federation made its presence known in the area. During this period, an effort was made to search for information about the earliest settlements on the island, some of which were still visible in the dense jungle. To this end the national government established a small research facility on the island and built a few roads to several different archaeological sites. By 1497, the facilities had been abandoned.
  • Aerlig 1499-1502: Aerlig, which would later become a part of the Grand Commonwealth, claimed the island in 1499 and held it for about four years. Again, the island and its population was insignificant enough to not attract much attention from national authorities.


  • Grand Commonwealth 1503-1514 (6.8.6-8.0.0 ?/?/2005-30/03/2006):
    • Immigration of the Babkhi community.
    • Expulsion of remaining Treesians.
    • Swamps drained and diseases brought under control. Turned into trade station.
  • New Brittania 1515-1523 (8.0.2-9.4.0b 04/08/06-25/12/06):
  • Alexandria 1524 (9.5.0 29/01/07):
  • Kataria 1525-1533 (10.0.0-12.3.0 20/02/07-13/10/07):
  • New Brittania 1535-1537 (12.7.0-13.1.1 19/12/07-08/02/08):
  • Nouveau Aquitaine 1539-1540 (13.3.0-13.4.1 10/04/08-20/05/08):
  • Bosworth 1541-1543 (13.4.2-13.5.5 02/06/08-30/08/08):
  • Britannic Empire 1544-1547 (13.6.0-13.7.1 06/09/08-16/12/08):
  • Luthoria 1552 (13.8.6-13.8.8 10/05/09-31/05/09):
  • Alexandria 1553-1559 (13.8.9-14.0.4 06/06/09-06/12/09):
  • Ashkenatza 1575-1604 (14.4.3-15.2.4 10/04/11-29/09/13):


  • Independent Talenore 1615-1633 (15.4.1-15.7.2 03/08/14-14/02/16):
    • Expulsion of remaining Ashkenatzan population.
    • Main immigration of the Elw and Sani?
  • Craitish Talenore 1634-1645 (15.7.4-15.9.0 27/03/16-12/02/17):
  • Independent Talenore 1646-1647 (15.9.1-15.9.3 05/03/17-30/04/17):
  • Shirerithian Talenore 1648-1659 (15.9.4-16.1.4 21/05/17-01/04/18):
  • Iteran Talenore 1659-1664 (16.1.5-16.2.6 15/04/18-30/09/18):
  • Shirerithian Talenore 1665- (16.2.7- 14/10/18-present):

Talenore was founded in 1613 as a nation based on Babkhi, Elw and Sani culture, due to the founding citizens being Babkhi, Elw and Sani. It is the successor state to Sanilla and Chambuur. From its inception, Talenore was a semi-presidential republic. The guiding impulse behind the establishment was to escape the misrule then endemic in the Imperial Republic of Shireroth, circumstances that were ironic considering the island's long-term fate.

The State of Talenore was led by Malliki Nur Pinito from independence until the establishment of the protectorate.

Laws were passed by Parliament, which consisted of the Legislature and the President. The Prime Minister was appointed by the President and responsible to the Legislature as well as the President. The country was ruled by the National Development Party, a centrist-right wing, liberal-conservative-populist party, from independence until the establishment of the protectorate, there was a power struggle between the President and Prime Minister, where the former tried to abolish the latter. The Prime Minister chaired the Cabinet, consisting of several ministers appointed by the President.

The protectorate relationship with Shireroth was established in (continue with when, why and how)

On the surface Talenore had a democratic government, with an elected city council and mayor. What was rarely noted though was that the council and mayor had virtually no authority over the city. According to the provisional city law passed by the board of Talcorp, the city government had authority over all areas of the city "not of strategic, commercial, or security value" to the state, that is, Talcorp. This excluded all parts of the city except for a few housing estates and even there security was handled by either the gendarmerie or Vanguard, both controlled by Talcorp. While Talcorp focused on crime that could potentially threaten their position as effective owners of the state, they let petty and violent crime go rampant. Before the coup, Talenore was a well organized and safe city. Afterwards, it slowly deteriorated into chaos. The upper classes, with both inherited money, jobs and contacts in Talcorp, hired Vanguard for personal protection. It was like a business model of Talcorp; make the city unsafe and cash in on private security. The only problem was that despite the official image of Talenore as being extremely rich and egalitarian, its Gini coefficient was off the charts. The failure of the corporate government to protect the public began to undermine its legitimacy and right to rule. Local community groups began to organise mutual assistance committees, first in the housing estates controlled by the city government, and from there they spread across the island.

Their first task was public security and safety, but it quickly expanded to other areas. The committees began to quietly take over the staff of an ostensibly private hospital from whence they organised a healthcare committee, providing healthcare via the backdoor to the island community. They stepped in where Talcorp failed to provide services and were rightly rewarded with massive popular support. Independent candidates backed by the committees swept the city council election, taking all seats but three in a 101 member assembly. Their leader, Mahmood Sadri, became mayor, running against a an NDP candidate who enjoyed the support of Talcorp's media outfits. The company responded as most authoritarian governments do, by breaking up demonstrations and arresting officials. Unfortunately for them, most staff of the central prison were committee members.

The tipping point came in 1651 in an incident on Independence Plaza. A large demonstration against corporate rule was broken up when Vanguard officers started firing at the protesters. 31 people died and many were injured in what became known as Red Friday. Deadly force by law enforcement officers was hitherto very rare in Talenore, ordinary officers did not even carry firearms, so the outrage was massive. The board of Talcorp tried to lessen the impact of the incident by prompting the government into prosecuting several members of Vanguard, but the damage was already done.

Mahmood Sadri, as a well placed and eminent local political figure, established quiet contacts with the Imperial Forces garrisoned in the region. For them the island was a base of operations and protection was a quid pro quo for supporting home rule on the island. It made little difference how that home rule manifested itself. Whilst there was hardly an Imperial officer in existence who did not detest the hateful doctrine of egalitarianism with every fibre of his or her being, Talcorp's mismanagement of the local situation had made it a liability - and, in the aftermath of the Auspicious Occasion, liabilities were something to be dealt with in as summarily a fashion as possible.

In a highly coordinated action launched in the third month of 1652, the entire board of directors and most top level officials of Talcorp were arrested by the Gendarmerie with the quiet blessing of the Imperial Commander on the island. The rest fled to Shireroth where they subsequently were permitted to live out quiet exiles, provided they did not complain too vocally. Following this, the city council assumed control of the entire island and banned Vanguard. This prompted a few weeks of street battles between the Gendarmerie and army on one side, and Vanguard officers on one side. Vanguard was vastly outnumbered though, and running low on supplies since the local defence forces controlled the ports and airports. The decider came in what became known as the Battle of Fleet Street, where a smaller but better equipped army unit, supported by Imperial Auxiliaries managed to surround and defeat a large part of the remaining Vanguard officers. The trials that followed were not lenient against the old regime, with several top level Talcorp and Vanguard officials receiving death sentences. The officials that fled to or remained in Shireroth were banned from returning.

Talcorp was subsequently restructured as a publicly owned corporation with representatives of the City Council sitting on its board of governance. The MoMA Station continued to expand as the aftermath of the Alexandrian Flu and the Hammish Civil War increased the strategic significance of the island.

In 1655 the island came under a sustained siege by the New Zimian War League.