First Thuylemans Government
The Thuylemans Government was the cabinet of Shireroth under Steward Louis Thuylemans. It was formed in the aftermath of the 1717 Shirerithian general elections as a coalition between the Thuylemans' Ultraroyalist Party, the Mango-Strengthening Movement, the Association of Loyalists to the Throne, the Reform Society, the National Development Party of Talenore, the Conservative Monarchist Party and the Imperial Democratic Party. The administration was preceded by the Third Wythe Cabinet and was succeeded by Thuylemans' second cabinet in 1724.
To avoid the dominance of the Eastern Imperium's politicians, the relatively gray mouse, Louis Thuylemans, was chosen as Steward. From the start, the Steward faced the tough challenge of holding together a coalition of widely divergent parties. The slogan "Centralize The Empire, Enrichen The People" became a common slogan among several ministers and MPs, but led to an early rift with the more reactionary forces within the coalition. Particularly the Verionist wing of the MSM had proven itself a vocal champion of far-reaching strengthening of the position of Shirekeep and the Golden Mango Throne.
- Imperial Decree: Appointment of the Thuylemans Government
The Mango-Strengthening Movement, Association of Loyalists to the Throne, Imperial Democratic Party, Reform Society, Ultraroyalists, Conservative-Monarchist Party, National Development Party and Passibelend have come to agreement to form a new cabinet and grant support to Louis Thuylemans as Steward of the Imperial Government, with the grace of the Gods and Kaiseress Salome.
Kaiseress above all
The Kaiseress is the cornerstone of our society. The Kaisership, which dates back to the first century is of great importance to our culture and political system. Under the current dynasty there is great stability, which our people need. This government therefore sees it as its core task to maintain and strengthen the power of the Golden Mango Throne through the centralization of power in Shirekeep, and support of the Ayreon-Kalirion dynasty to which the Throne belongs.
Self-sustainability in all areas
- Industry: Our industry is currently far too dependent on foreign powers. Foreign companies, whether from allies or neutral countries, should not dominate our economy.
More than a billion denizens belong to this empire: we have the manpower, know-how and resources to stand on our own two feet again. The government will come up with a plan whereby the influx of new tax money will be used to stimulate our companies through subsidies. Important industry will be partly nationalized.
- Agriculture: The addition of the kingdom of Batavia and Greater Kildare gives us access to two new granaries. The production quota of the Antyan valley should be steadily increased. Smaller farms will be grouped together to coordinate production where necessary.
- Defence: The army is having growing pains. Due to the rapid expansion of our empire, we currently do not have enough soldiers to protect our outer borders. The morale (and loyalty) of the soldiers from the integrated areas also leaves much to be desired.
- New military academies should be established,
- The Young Wandering Society should be reformed and encourage youth to serve the Empire,
- Imperial Customs should be established to take over some of the duties of the military at the frontiers.
- Our fleet and arms industry are also in need of renewal and expansion. By 1723 [comment: five-year plans über alles] AN we wish to will have doubled our fleet again so that our coasts and seas can be properly protected. A plan must be worked out to turn our fleet into a blue water navy again in the mid-long term.
- The integration of organizations such as Tegong (secret police) are important for our state security. Simultaneously, SHINE must be reactivated as an intelligence service. In both Greater Kildare and Batavia, police services should be further integrated into the Imperial Marshals and Imperial Constabulary. The inner workings of the Shirekeep City Guard are an example of excellent police work. A commission should investigate the possibility to introduce their system in other regions
Further integration of West and East
We face a huge challenge to unite the territories in the West and East. Political cooperation is important, but so is cultural and spiritual cooperation.
- In order to stimulate cooperation, we will focus on integrating institutions in the coming years (the Holy Catologian Church, Tianchaodao, Tegong, Young Wandering Society, the bureaucracy, old armies and navies,…).
- Exchange projects between school-going youth should reinforce the sense that everyone, regardless of social status, ethnicity, religion, place of birth or upbringing, and so on, belongs to a Shirerithian nationality.
- TV broadcasts and films should be aimed at strengthening patriotism among the population. A new national broadcasting company needs to be established focused on all kinds of audiences.
- A Shirerithian Fair will be hosted across the Imperial Republic to showcase the marvels of our ingenuity: exhibitions will be held in the largest cities (Shirekeep, Daocheng and ‘s Koningenwaarde and several others) to celebrate Kaiseress Salome and our industrial and social progress.
End to warlordism
The Eastern Empire has recently been plagued by warlordism. This scourge, which is weakening the nation, must be eradicated. The Ministry for the Imperium in Apollonia therefore receives our approval and support to crack down on potential betrayals.
Every resident who does not belong to the nobility or denizen A or denizen B rank rightly has no voice in our political system. However, with about 40% of our population excluded from any political participation, we are aware that this can lead to unrest disappointment among the categories C and D.
- There ought to be legal limits to the period of service in which an honourable denizen might be bound by a lawful contract that restricts their freedom; and avenues for such denizens to be relieved of such lawful contract, even when the noble in charge of their care might disagree to such relief. We will make reviews on such legislation.
- Only people who have broken the law, and by order of the Judex, has been found to be without honour, might be henceforth be transferred to the class of denizens who are unfree and lack honour. We will implement avenues for denizens under this class to regain their honour (or, if they have never had honour, gain it).
Bread and Poor Laws
With the expansion of our granaries, the price of grain, potatoes, milk and bread will fall. This government sees it as its task to provide the poorest among us with a minimum ration of grain, potatoes, milk, and bread. The opening of new poor houses in every major city should help in sheltering the homeless.
Division of ministers and commissioners
Agreed that half of all ministers and commissioners will be taken from the Adelsraad (or Landsraad) and half from the Folksraad. The division shall be as follows:
|Imperial Democratic Party||1||1||2|
|Conservative Monarchist Party||1||1|
|National Development Party||1||1|
The Thuylemans Government placed a heavy focus on five years plans and new laws:
- Integration of the Western and Eastern Economies and Currency Act: At the start of the tenure, a large amount of currencies were used throughout the country. In remote areas, many had even relied on a barter system. The Erb was recognised as sole acceptable currency within the Empire's borders, while the local and nations Mints and banks were ordered to prepare the exchange of old currency to Erbs at a favorable rate.
- National Industrial Nurturing of the Economy (NINE): Five year plan to make Shirerithian industry more self-reliant by 1723 AN. The plan focused on heavy industry (armament and shipbuilding industries), agricultural development and scientific research.
- The Shirerithian Hegemony Implementation Plan (SHIP): A reform of the Armed Forces began in 1718 AN with the expansion of the landforces. New ships were purchased for the Fleet, while older ships were redesigned. Plans to expand the Airforce took shape in 1723 AN, with the Floria–Shireroth diplomatic conflict. Precedence was given to the purchase of ships and aircrafts which were manufactured in the Imperial Republic.
- State Schooling and Curriculum Act (1722 AN): the reform of educational institution and the national curriculum. A heavy focus on learning Praeta and Istvanistani, the imperial history and indoctrination of the pupil into becoming a hardworking citizen of Shireroth. Establishment of state schools throughout the Dominions were planned to follow between 1723 AN and 1728 AN.