Emperor of the Natopians: Nathan, Nathaniel, Naian, Asara Sisu, Zakyyr, Nathan II
Avatar: Nathan II
The House of Waffel-Paine is an imperial and royal house established in 1509 AN, and is the current ruling dynasty in Natopia and Shireroth. The house is heavily linked to Elwynn's history. Its founder, Nathan Waffel-Paine, ruled Elwynn twice, first as Duke (c1552-1555), and later, as Prince (1586-1589). As Prince, Nathan married Shireroth's then Kaiser, Ayreon II (Elijah), and their child, Nathaniel, served as Prince of Elwynn too (1604-1618, pretender 1607-1618) and emperor of Natopia. The Founder's cousin, Lord Erion, was Elwynn's president 1570-1573 and served in various positions in the Elwynnese government. The present Ruler of Elwynn, King Thorstein Noah Hallbjörns- og Esthersson, also is a member of the House of Waffel-Paine.
The name Waffel comes from the Sin'felo elf clan of the Phoenix Forest, the Founder's oldest known maternal ancestors. In order to Natopianize the name for easier assimilation in Germanic Ziegeland, Nathan's homeland, Sin'felo was changed to von 'Fel and eventually became Waffel. The Founder's paternal family is native to Yellow Island, serving as shepherds in the countryside. Therefore Paine was chosen to indicate the humble, outlying, pastoral origins of the Founder. The name combines ancient mysterious foreign origins and humble native roots. The name may be pronounced "Va-fell-pain" or "Waffle-pain" depending on the speaker's preference. Both pronunciations carry the same tone of respect.
The House is governed by the Avatar who is the person most directly descended from Nathan Waffel-Paine, with preference given to biological children. THe current Avatar is Nathan II who is the great-grandson of the Founder.
Individuals not related by blood or by law to Nathan Waffel-Paine can be grafted into the family by the current Avatar, establishing their own branch. This is reserved for very important people.
- Nathan Waffel-Paine (1455–1607) [married to Elijah Ayreon]
- Nathaniel Ayreon-Kalirion (1586–1632) [m. Noor bint Daniyal]
- Naian Waffel-Paine (1588–1644) [sired with Guinevere Moonoak]
- Lord Erion (c1410– ), Prince of Arboria, President of Elwynn (1570–1573)
- Gwyneth Angus-Moonoak [m. Ivo Angus]
- Thorstein Noah (1616– ) [m. Noor bint Daniyal]
The Imperial and Royal House of Waffel-Paine has retained possession of certain important properties, estates, and vessels as private property of the family itself.
- The Imperial Yacht, Urania
- Princely Crown of Sororiya
- Kulita Manor, Smjorkyr, Shireroth
- the Kingdom of Ziegeland
- the Rājatba of Tas Neemia
- the Emberbark
- Drakland Manor, Demonsfall, Shireroth
The Waffel-Paine family has, over generations, accumulated the rights to many customary titles.
These titles may only be used by family members who are descended by blood or by law from the union between Nathan Waffel-Paine and Guinevere Moonoak.
- Scion of the Three Peoples, a reference to Mehl, Hazel, and Elivian heritage joining together into the person of Naian Waffel-Paine.
- Vessel of Dual Natures, a reference to the divine and mortal coming together to create a new lineage on Micras.
These title may only be used by family members who are directly descended, by blood or by law, from Nathan Waffel-Paine
- Progeny of the Once-Living God, a reference to descent from the Founder, a Bovic god.
- Marquis/Marquise of Lükanburg
These titles may only be used by descendants of Saint Taznim
- Reincarnation of The Dhury (prefaced by the appropriate ordinal), a reference to the cycle of reincarnation of Saint Taznim. May only be held by direct, first-born, female, blood only, descendants of Saint Taznim. Title is now defunct, replaced by
- Transcendence of the Dhury, reference to the fulfilled cycle of reincarnation completed by Asara Sisu. May only be used by direct, blood only descendants of Asara Sisu of Waffel-Paine.
All members may use the following titles.
- of Waffel-Paine (if their surname is not already Waffel-Paine)
- Lord/Lady in Jorvik
These titles may only be used by a member of the family if that person is currently the Emperor of the Natopians
- Conqueror of Dracoheim
- Uniter of the Demesnes
- Protector of the Eternal Nation
- Guardian of the Icons of the State
- Grand Mayor of Lindstrom City
- Wielder of the Sword of Sovereignty
- Scourge of Lavalon
Descendants of the union between Asara Sisu and Kyle Kilynn may use the following title
- Heir to the Line of Drak