Vijayanagara received its city charter in c1490 along with Caligae, Civitas Nova, Glenfiddich, and Habrichtsburg, and remains therefore on a tied-second place of oldest continental Elwynnese cities. Site of the Battle of Vijayanagara in 1509 that marked the end of the War of Vengeance between Elwynn and Antya.
By the Donation of Elwynn, in 1494, the city was sanctified in honour of B'caw. A temple was erected with public funds in the outskirts of the city (then stil within the city limits), the urbanised area of which now constituting the bailiwick of B'cawshrine.
In 1544, the Hyperboreans invaded the city and declared a "New Order" for Elwynn. Babkhi names were purged across the country, and Vijayanagara was no exception. Although the architecture was mostly left intact, Babkhi names were removed from street signs, and the city's name was changed to Alumelith (a suburb to Vijayanagara remains named Alumelith after the Hyperborean Alumelith monastery there).
However, the city was soon infested with Ohl'tar and Hyperborean defences of the city were thus weakened. Nationally, the Ohl'tar infestion saw great political upheaval, culminating in 1551 with the White Lily Revolt. Later the same year, the pro-Hyperborean dukes Iskander Mirkdale and Jacobus Loki were replaced by Andrew Allot. By ducal order, the name Vijayanagara was returned to the city, and in 1552, ducal forces (with the support of MoMA) regained the city in what was called the Massacre of Alumelith with missile bombardments. Along with the deaths of almost all Ohl'tar, most of the city's remnant population was killed, too.
The city has since its chartering been associated with the noble title Khan of Vijayanagara.
The official languages of Vijayanagara are, under the Constitution of Elwynn, Elw and Agnesian.
Cathedral city of the Diocese of Vijayanagara (Church of Elwynn).
19.XIII.1691 AN a radiological incident was declared in the city following an explosion at the UDF dockyards that supported the 1st Submarine Flotilla. A third of the city's population, located in districts adjacent to the port area, were ordered to be immediately evacuated following the imposition of martial law in the Bailiwick.
Vijayanagara is an Agnesian name meaning "victory city". That name is traditionally rendered Mizaanara (Мизаанара) or Mizajenraa (Мизайенраа) in Elw, although most commonly these days, the city is in Elw referred to as Vizajanagara (Визаянагара). In Farewellish, the name is the same, though spelt Vidjajanagara.
The city has in common parlance been shortened to Vijaya, Vijayar and Vijayanagra.