|Type:||C-RAM and short range air defence system|
|Place of origin:||Alduria|
|In service:||1675 AN - present|
|Wars:||West Baatharzi War|
|Mass:||90 kg (200 lb)|
|Length:||3 m (9.8 ft)|
|Diameter:||160 mm (6.3 in)|
|Detonation mechanism:||Proximity fuze|
|Launch platform:||Three/four launchers, each carrying 20 interceptors.|
Silver Hammer is a mobile all-weather air defense system developed by Armaments of Alduria, the National Research and Development Corporation, Javelin Industries, and Kerularios & Company (collectively known as "the Aldurian Defense Consortium"). The system is designed to intercept and destroy short-range rockets and artillery shells fired from distances of up to 70 km (43 mi) away. Developers hope to increase the range of the system's interceptions up to 250 km (160 mi) and make it more versatile, capable of intercepting rockets coming from several directions at the same time.
The Silver Hammer was first declared operational in 1675 AN along the Aldurian banks of the Nouradin river following the start of the West Baatharzi War, particularly the city of Corrada del Rio in Mondego. In its first year of operations, the system successfully intercepted 95% of rockets and artillery shells fired from guerilla-held territories. Soon the system saw deployment in Aldurian settlements in West Baatharz and along its border with Antakia.
In addition to their land-based deployment, Silver Hammer batteries will in the future be deployed at sea, where they will protect off-shore gas platforms or commercial ships in conjunction with other missile systems.
The Silver Hammer is only part of a larger multi-tiered missile defense system that Alduria is developing, which includes the Geneva 1, the Geneva 3, Strong Girl, Mondego 2, and Iron Knight.
See also: West Baatharzi War
The system is designed to counter short-range rockets and 155 mm artillery shells with a range of up to 70 kilometers. According to its manufacturer, Silver Hammer will operate day and night, under adverse weather conditions, and can respond to multiple threats simultaneously.
The Silver Hammer has three central components:
- Detection & Tracking Radar: the radar system is built by Armaments of Alduria, a government-owned Aldurian defense company, and by the Aldurian Armed Forces.
- Battle Management & Weapon Control (BMC): the control center is built for the National Research and Development Corporation by Phillips-Riehl Company, a Caputian-Aldurian artificial intelligence company.
- Missile Firing Unit: the unit launches the Geneva 1 interceptor missile, equipped with electro-optic sensors and several steering fins for high maneuverability. The missile is built by Javelin Industries for the National Research and Development Corporation.
The system's radar detects the rocket's launch and tracks its trajectory. The BMC calculates the impact point according to the reported data and uses this information to determine whether the target constitutes a threat to a designated area. Only when that threat is determined, is an interceptor missile fired to destroy the incoming rocket before it reaches the predicted impact area.
The Silver Hammer is designed to deploy in a scattered pattern. Each launcher, containing 20 interceptors, is independently deployed and operated remotely via a secure wireless connection. Reportedly, each Silver Hammer battery is capable of protecting an urban area of approximately 150 square kilometers.
The initial funding and development of the Silver Hammer system was provided and undertaken by Alduria. This allowed for the deployment of the first two Silver Hammer systems along the Nouradin river at the height of the West Baatharzi War. Subsequently, funding for an additional twelve systems — along with funding for a continuous supply of interception missiles — is currently being provided by Alduria as well.
At the beginning of the Second Amokolian War, Ransenar placed an initial order of three Silver Hammer batteries from Javelin Industries in 1678 AN in exchange for Ransenar providing more funding for missile defense development in Alduria, on the premise that Ransenar and Alduria would share the technology. Lord Chief Steward Sean O'Callaghan announced that Ransenar would seek funding from the Ransenari Congress in the 1679 budget to spur the production and deployment of additional Silver Hammer batteries in Benacia. This would be the first direct Ransenari investment in the project. Such financial assistance could expedite the development and completion of the defensive system, which has long been delayed by budgetary shortfalls and funding constraints.
Plans for coproduction with Ransenar
With Ransenar on track to greatly increase funding for Silver Hammer and missile defense technology development, there have been calls for technology transfer and co-production of Silver Hammer in Ransenar. In 1679 AN the Consortium announced that Ransenar and Alduria were in negotiations for co-production of the Silver Hammer and several other defense technologies with Kerularios & Company.
Future deployment at sea
Modified Silver Hammer launch systems were installed as a standard feature aboard all capital ships (missile cruisers, arsenal ships, and battleships) of the Maritime Armada, brought into service by the Raspur Pact during the 1680s and 1690s.
- Florian Republic Armed Forces
- x2 command posts and radars
- x12 launchers
- x480 Silver-I interceptor missile
Possible foreign sales
- 24.VI.1679: Trans-Euran Command submitted a request for the development of a dedicated naval version of the Silver Hammer suitable for installation aboard surplus Logistic Support Vessels held by the Constancian Navy.
- 05.VIII.1679: A delegation from Benacia Command expressed an interest in procuring 400 units of the Silver Hammer Detection & Tracking Radar for installation on the Vigilamus Network.
- 21.I.1688: After a private, classified demonstration during the week of the Wedding of Crown Prince Titu of Alduria-Wechua and Princess Abigail of Shireroth, the Autokrator of Constancia oberved that this would serve as an adequate force-multiplier for Constancian, and therefore Euran Air Defense. An initial order of 20 units, with options for more, were placed accordingly.