Second Elwynnese Civil War
From MicrasWikiJump to navigationJump to search
|Second Elwynnese Civil War|
SDF Fänrik attached to the Eliria Levy of the Home Guard, gesturing to UDF counterparts during a short humanitarian truce (12.I.1693 AN).
|| Elwynn and Amokolia
Republic of Tarrland
|Commanders and leaders|
| Benacia Command
|| SDF Joint Command
|1,563,531 (1693 AN)
||2,038,358 (1693 AN)|
Disintegration of the UDF (II–IV.1692 AN)
- 12.II.1692 AN: Declaration of the Republic of Elwynn and Amokolia, formation of SDF. Affirmations of loyalty to the Court of the Prince from senior UDF commanders but mutinies and disorders reported in barracks and depots throughout Elwynn. The Panopticon reported its findings that, based on ethnicity, religious affiliation, and political allegiances, junior, regimental, and division level commanders cannot necessarily be relied upon to remain loyal to the regime.
- 13–21.II.1692 AN: Attempts to quell the mutinous soldiery and mobilise UDF forces in the 1st Territorial Inspectorate (Elirian metropolitan area) resulted in a fracturing of those garrisons and a loss of effective government control. Five divisions defected to the SDF, three remained loyal to the Court of the Prince, whilst a fourth - the Babkhi majority "Zjandarian Guards" Division had become enthusiastically embroiled in attacks on demonstrations and secessionist held buildings in the capital.
- 14.II.1692 AN: Benacia Command commences Operation Retribution against separatist forces in Elwynn. Notice is given to the governments of Alalehzamin, Kalgachia and Mishalacia to immediately, within 24 hours, indicate their willingness to permit the transit of allied forces northwards into Amokolia and Upper Elwynn.
- 15.II.1692 AN:
- 2nd Pansar Army (IX Territorial Inspectorate, Headquartered in Mišalan) declares for the Court of the Prince.
- Union Aerospace Corps Command, upon being receipt of orders to conduct strikes against targets in metropolitan Eliria, declared for the Republic of Elwynn and Amokolia. The 4th Tactical Aviation Division, based in Amokolia, however repudiated this declaration, whilst the 5th Tactical Aviation Division based on aerodromes in Elwynn proper affirmed their transfer of allegiance to the SDF, commencing the fragmentation of Elwynn's powerful air arm.
- Kalgachia signalled its indignant refusal of Benacia Command's demand to facilitate the transit of forces northwards through the territory of the Garden. "Any attempt to transgress the sacred bounds will be resisted with determination, from in front, from behind, from above, and from below, especially from below. From the moment you embark upon such a reckless act, and until the hour of your demise, you will not be permitted a single instance of rest or safety. Think carefully upon your next move." - Karin Bai, Chairwoman of the Council of the Perfecti.
- 16.II.1692 AN: A major setback for the Court of the Prince as the Corps of the Gentlemen-at-Cudgels, previously a stalwart of the regime, declared for the revolutionary forces. The defection was seen as a reaction by the Council of Cudgellers against the efforts of the Court of the Prince to impose Babkhi and ESB leadership upon the organisation - embodied in the detested person of Zurvanudin Miran al-Osman, the largely absentee Inspector of Cudgels who was out of the country in Sathrati at the start of the uprising. In response the government of the AAR issued an ultimatum to the Cudgeller Palatinate in Alalehzamin for the immediate surrender of their commanderies to local authorities within twelve hours.
- 17.II.1692 AN: At the expiration of the ultimatum period without a response from the Superintendent Officers of Cudgels, the commanderies in the south of Elwynn, isolated and surrounded by a hostile population, began to respond favourably to emissaries from the local government who sought to negotiate the surrender of individual outposts in turn. The only exception to this generally peaceable capitulation being in Islus where the commandery, hopeful of relief from the north via the Elwynn river, fired upon the negotiating party and swiftly found themselves under siege by local militia drawn from the ranks of the Behsaz-Eluin.
- 19.II.1692 AN: The People's Academy of Elwynn, following a series of campus protests and the occupation of Eliria University College by student radicals in the days following the secession, declared for the Republic of Elwynn and Amokolia.
- 22.II.1692 AN: The defection of the 6th Logistics-Airlift Division to the SDF interrupted the operations of the Boreal Air Bridge, disrupting the supply chain of UDF forces in Hurmu, Leng, and Normark.
- 5.III.1692 AN: Catastrophe for the loyalist forces as the defection of the Amfibiekåren (Amphibious Corps) of the UDF opened up the coast of Upper Elwynn and Amokolia the delivery of arms shipments and volunteers from anti-Raspur sympathisers and resulted in the de facto loss of the Cimmerian Isles, Leng, and Raikoth to the SDF. Fortunately for the honour of the Black Legions, its garrison at Marinestation Wolfraven, comprised of the 1001st Naval Air Regiment and support elements drawn from the Inspectorate of Naval Forces, disdained the opportunity to surrender to the mutineers but in consequence now found themselves under a blockade that amounted to a state of siege.
- 6.III.1692 AN: With the reliability of UDF forces along its northern frontier being called increasingly in to doubt by the ongoing string of defections, the Grand Army of Ransenar began to mobilise forces assigned to the Eastern Banner Group of Benacia Command and facilitating their movement northwards from previous positions around Lune Villa and Chryse.
- 7.III.1692 AN: UDF deserters attacked a Panopticon bureau office in the bailiwick of Saria, part of Greater Eliria, killing six officers and wounding more than 30. The use of a recoilless rifle in the attack pointed to it having been undertaken with the tacit sanction of one of the divisions in the Eliria garrison which had defected to the SDF.
- 8.III.1692 AN: With the security of the capital no longer guaranteed, and with outlying bailiwicks of Greater Eliria, along with some suburbs of the city proper, having already fallen into rebel hands, a formal state of siege is declared in Eliria. Chaotic scenes ensued as the Court of the Princess in Castle Eliria, along with subordinate government departments in the central districts, were evacuated and transferred over to loyalist UDF control. With Lenfiq in rebel hands, plans for the transfer of the seat of government had to be adjusted in favour of an evacuation to the south and the establishment of the wartime capital at Islus in Alalehzamin.
- 13.III.1692 AN: Another setback for the Court of the Prince, as mutinies broke out in the area of the 8th Territorial Inspectorate, centred around Pozdam and covering Western Amokolia up to the frontier with Batavia. Mirroring the process of disintegration that had hit the 1st Territorial Inspectorate around Eliria in the preceding month, whilst corps commanders remained uniformly loyal, divisional commanders showed more inclination to be swayed by their mutinous soldiery. Fully five out of the eight UDF divisions assigned to the region were swayed to the rebel cause and defected to the SDF. It was fortunate for the UDF however that the 15th Division "Angularis" and the 5th Pansarfördelningen counted amongst the diminished contingent of loyalist forces. Through them a rough triangle of territory, encompassing Einhorn, Pozdam, and Tel-Amok, remained in loyalist hands. Nonetheless the Batavian and Kalgachi frontiers were now under the control of the SDF and the rebel government.
- 14.III.1692 AN: A rare instance of good fortune for the loyalist forces, as the mutinies spreading to the VI Territorial Inspectorate were suppressed in the majority of divisions garrisoned in the Amokolian Islands following rapid action carried out by corps and divisional commanders to identify and detain suspected traitors in their ranks. The three divisions that had successfully defected during the fighting, the 22nd, the 65th, and the 85th, were quickly forced back onto the defensive.
- 16.III.1692 AN: Following the example of the Amphibious Corps, the 2nd Territorial Inspectorate defected en masse to the SDF, marking the first occasion on which corps-level formations had transferred their allegiance in their entirety. Only two divisions, the 11th and the 30th, remained loyal to the Court of the Prince and the UDF chain of command. For the first time since the beginning of the secessionist uprising defecting forces were poised, along Elwynn's eastern seaboard, to control territory where the autonomous republic, that of the Sovereign Confederation, had remained loyal to the previous regime.
- 17.III.1692 AN: A relatively small force of some 650 troops from The Hexarchy set foot on loyalist-controlled shores. These men, a core part of the Praetor's personal guard, were surreptitiously sent after a long journey to help the Court of the Prince to save his country as a gesture of friendship, and also to help the soldiers acquire much-needed modernized combat experience. The troops, while extremely competent themselves, nonetheless carry hopelessly outdated equipment to the field due to a lack of modernized equipment at home. Thus, they have little option but to place themselves under the command of the nearest loyalist commander of sufficient rank, per the Praetor's direct orders.
- This placed the contingent from the Hexarchy at Avakair. There they would await the arrival of other overseas contingents recruited by the ESB, as well as Ransenari forces moving up from the south. This band of exotic foreigners proved to be the cause of comment and considerable curiosity on the part of local community, where there had not been much in the way of excitement since the War in Wintergleam back in the 1670s. The requirement of these new arrivals for updated armaments was swiftly noted by the Gentlemen of the Assay, owners and operators of the Avakair Armory - the foremost manufacturer of small arms in eastern Benacia which had, much to the sorrow of the assayers, fallen upon hard times following the winding down of the Allied Production Matrix.
- 5.IV.1692 AN: The senior corps and divisional commanders of the 5th Territorial Inspectorate (Caligae) made a joint declaration in favour of the Court of the Prince. In spite of this unanimity, four divisions assigned to the area - the 38th, 39th, 60th, and 82nd Territorial Divisions - were able to seize control of their barracks and cantonments, thereafter joining the SDF and raising the banner of the insurgency. Opposed by five loyalist divisions - the 37th, 61st, 62nd, 83rd, and 84th Territorial Divisions - the rebels found themselves on the defensive against former comrades who were themselves beleaguered in the high north of Upper Elwynn, far behind what would become enemy lines.
- 7.IV.1692 AN: No longer able to remain above the fray, the senior command echelons of the 7th Territorial Inspectorate, headquartered in Mittlere Stadt, declared for Elwynn and Amokolia. Following the lead of their seniors, the corps and divisional commanders of formations assigned to the 7th Territorial Inspectorate followed suit and likewise affirmed their transfer of allegiance to the SDF. Only two divisions, the 44th and the 86th, defied these orders but were unable to stage a meaningful counter-putsch.
- 20.IV.1692 AN: After significant internal debate over the ethical consequences of intervening against a democratic uprising versus the dangers inherent in combating an outbreak of secessionism in a Raspur Pact ally, Sanaman authorities began to undertake the requisite preparatory acts necessary for the deployment of an expeditionary force to reinforce the UDF and Benacia Command's Northern Banner Group.
- 21.IV.1692 AN: From an undisclosed location in the North, Eki Verion, claiming the title of Countess of Cimmeria and Illumination, made an appeal to the people of Northern Elwynn to support the SDF and throw their might behind the Republic of Elwynn and Amokolia. Following her call, a coalition of libertarians, Verionists and members of the repressed Holy Church of the Divine Icebear mounted an assault on the loyalist forces left in Wolfraven.
- 22.IV.1692 AN: Without the realistic prospect of relief, the 1001st Naval Air Regiment, and other support units besieged in Marinestation Wolfraven since the fifth day of the preceding month, sabotaged their remaining equipment, set fire to the stores and buildings within their defensive perimeter, and began the process of surrendering to their former comrades in the SDF rather than endure any further assaults by the more chaotic revolutionary forces that were now emerging.
Build-up of forces (V–VI.1692 AN)
- 2.V.1692 AN: Facing a growing insurgent movement, loyalist and Ransenari forces withdrew from the Free City of Fieldburg into the rural portion of the bailiwick, establishing defensive positions on Ridge 77, overlooking the road and railroad that passed south-easterly towards Dravotih iker. Ransenari contingents comprised the 2nd Regiment of Dragoons & 2nd Justiciary Regiment of the Grand Army of Ransenar, which had been deployed in the bailiwick since 13.V.1680 AN, were reorganised into the Uihmanz Filbur and would receive reinforcements from those contingents of the GAR which had been moved up to the northern frontier between Ransenar and the Sovereign Confederation during the protracted disintegration of the UDF over the preceding three months.
- 5.V.1692 AN: Proclamation from the Government of the Republic of Elwynn and Amokolia, located in the wartime capital of Lenfidiq. Owing to the "illegal use of force" by the "Raspurid Occupation Regime" a state of war and of unlimited national emergency was declared to be in effect. From the date of the proclamation, obligatory national service would apply to all adult males of between 16 and 20 years of age for a period of four years. With immediate effect those reaching that age bracket in the present year would be issued with call up papers, with instructions to assemble at the administrative offices of their bailiwick of residence within four days of the proclamation.
- 6.V.1692 AN: Responding to the Proclamation of War and Unlimited National Emergency, the Unified Congress voted to delegate legislative powers to the Conducător, Pedyr Mekaarveq, effective for six months.
- The Conducător in turn commanded the Unified Congress to organise a Committee of General Defence and a Committee of General Security and to elect a five man Grand Directorate to supervise all aspects of the war effort, reporting directly to the Conducător.
- 9.V.1692 AN: Allowing for desertion, draft evasion, and disruption by enemy activity, the levy en masse yielded 2,057,058 new recruits, of these 866,658 were assigned to the non-combatant Elwynnese and Amokolian Labour Service (EALS) while the remainder were utilised to establish the Home Guard the Internal Troops, and the recruitment pools from which casualties in the regular formations of the SDF would be replaced.
- 11.V.1692 AN: UDF Facility Dragonsfold is liberated by elements of the mutinous 29th Territorial Division sent from Vijayanagara to reinforce the rebellion in its faltering efforts to capture Eliria. Site abandoned by a mainly Babkhan garrison on the night preceding the arrival of the SDF. Evidence of torture implements and medical experimentation recovered from amongst partially burnt and hastily ransacked buildings. Haul of liberated prisoners proved to be disappointingly small, with most high profile captives having already been evacuated to the south at the onset of the uprising. From amongst the small band of survivors is received accounts of increasingly inhumane treatment following the takeover of the facility from the Corps of the Gentlemen-at-Cudgels by ethnic Babkhans suspected to be in the employ of the Honourable Company. Suspicion grows that the security operatives in the service of the company are "cleaning house" for the regime.
- 24.V.1692 AN: Consolidation of defecting cudgellers, partisan groups, local law-enforcement and civilian militia groups into the Home Guard, a reserve military force of the SDF organised around levy troops raised in bailiwicks loyal to Elwynn and Amokolia. Tasked with civil defence, law enforcement, and public order duties, the Home Guard would report to the Ministry of the Interior except when the bailiwick comes under the jurisdiction of an active Front whereupon the levy of a bailiwick would become subject to the operational control of the Joint Command of the SDF. War duties for a bailiwick's levy would include local defence and rear area security.
- 1.VI.1692 AN: Lead elements of the expeditionary forces contributed by the Confederate States Armed Forces of Floria and the Jaysh al-Sathrati of the Honourable Company began to arrive in Tephal and Avakair respectively.
- 3.VI.1692 AN: Following the desertion of Wolfraven and Fieldburg, Verionists and anti-Raspur forces in the North crowded the streets in celebration. Eki Verion, flanked by Stephen Lewis, held a speech in front of the smouldering remnants of the Marine station in Wolfraven. In the speech, Eki stressed her claim as Countess of Cimmeria and Illumination, and pledged that the North would fully support the government of Elwynn and Amokolia. She called upon all her supporters to join the efforts of the Republican forces where possible.
- 9.VI.1692 AN: Estimates presented to Committee of General Defence – because of former reliance upon Raspur Pact supply chains, shortages of parts and difficulties sustaining complex regimes of specialist maintenance will begin to degrade the operational availability of land, maritime, and aviation platforms. Most gravimetric vehicles, formerly maintained at allied facilities in Mishagrad, Cortallia-Rathwood, and Kezan, to be inoperable by XIV.1692 at latest. Shortages of parts and difficulties in fabricating or sourcing substitutes would likely manifest in the logistics support chain for maritime and aviation forces progressively and reaching critical levels by mid 1693, or sooner depending on levels of attrition and wear in the meantime. Fuels situation likely to be critical by first quarter of 1693, depending on severity of winter, for war economy, civil society, with knock-on effects for SDF and war effort. Development of ersatz substitute fuels, materials, and parts liable to require levels of investment and time not available to Elwynn and Amokolia. Bulk import of material shortfalls from overseas vulnerable to interdiction, either at sea or upon arrival. Blockade running operations unlikely to bring in sufficient quantities to cover needs and would have to focus on most strategic and rarest materials. Conclusion, the strategic situation of the SDF and Elwynn-Amokolia would deteriorate past the point of no-return by mid-1693 if the present defensive posture is maintained.
- 10.VI.1692 AN: Rationing introduced from this date in Alalehzamin, Mishalacia, and the Sovereign Confederation. Food Control Officers were appointed for each bailiwick, subject to a Board of Control consisting of nine commissioners who were appointed at the county or autonomous republic level by the Court of the Princess and who in turn reported to the newly appointed Commissioner for Food. Individual weekly ration allowances covered meat (2.4 kg), cured meat (227 g), coffee (110 g), loose tea (113 g), cheese (227 g), butter (227 g), margarine (340 g), lard (85 g), sweets (454 g). UDF and allied personnel meanwhile were placed on the Government & Guild Service rations of the Black Legions.
- 11.VI.1692 AN: Commissioner for Coordination (Jael Jemima Truls) issued a mandate for all loyalist autonomous republics to introduce the rationing of fuel for civilian usage - a monthly allowance of 400km per vehicle per month.
- 12.VI.1692 AN: Lead detachments of the Princess Isabella's Own Volunteers, a force of Constancians drawn primarily from N&H cadres, arrived in Avakair.
Descent into hostilities (VII.–VIII.1692 AN)
- 3.VII.1692 AN: Declaration from Benacia Command directed against those parties providing logistical support to the rebellion in Elwynn and Amokolia:
- "... in line with declarations made by their governments, and following the observation of suspicious shipping movements traced back to ports of origin within their territorial jurisdictions, the flags of Calbion and Jingdao shall no longer be respected within the Benacian Theatre Command Area of Operational Responsibility (longitude -180 to -90, and above the 10th parallel below the equator. The coast of the Riqi Elluenuuerssuarion is declared to be a conflict zone to a distance of 120 km from the shore and closed to all shipping. All nations are advised that vessels in international waters up to a distance of 500 km from the coast of Elwynn may be subject to inspection, and will be detained if suspected of carrying contraband for the rebellion in Upper Elwynn and Amokolia. For the avoidance of doubt, contraband goods encompass all goods advantageous to the survival of the rebellion and its adherents. The Maritime Armada has been tasked to assist the maritime forces of the Union Defence Force and the Navy of Ransenar in performing the aforementioned interdiction operations."
- "... for their failure to cooperate with requests to seal the frontier with areas presently under rebellion, and for their refusal to facilitate the transfer of allied forces across their territory in a timely and expeditious manner in order to support the suppression of the anarchy and lawlessness afflicting Elwynn, it is the duty of the Command Executive to give notice that all travel into and out of Kalgachia, including the use of airspace for transit to third party nations, is hereby suspended until such time as the Kalgachi authorities have confirmed that the border with rebel held Amokolia is wholly closed from their side of the frontier."
- 4.VII.1692 AN: The Suren Confederacy announced the dispatch of an expeditionary force to reinforce the UDF. The news is met with mild surprise by the Court of the Princess, but the official response is one of polite gratitude.
- 6.VII.1692 AN: The motivations of the Suren in dispatching what it had described as an expeditionary force became slightly more apparent as it became clear, following extensive correspondence between the Benacian and Trans-Euran Continental Theatre Commands, that the contingent being dispatched would comprise of the Lashkar-e-Yazatá, a bothersome militia which had shown itself to be disinclined to disband following the transfer of Kamalshahr into Surenid sovereignty. Sending the Lashkar to serve as mercenaries in an overseas conflict would allow the Suren to demonstrate their commitment to the Pact whilst removing a significant potential headache from within their own borders. After some consultation it was decided that it would be impolite to refuse the "gift" but that the Lashkar ought best to be deployed in sectors where the wellbeing and ultimate fate of the rebellious populace did not matter overly much.
- 7.VII.1692 AN: Concerns raised in the Unified Congress over the perceived reliance upon the Home Guard levy to cover gaps in the defences of Upper Elwynn are dismissed as "unpatriotic" and "scaremongering" by Minister Vladimiroff on behalf of the Committee of General Defence. A resolution in favour of the war policy of the Conducător is passed by a comfortable majority.
- 8.VII.1692 AN: The Llynges Calbain dispatched the aircraft carrier IFS Jacobo Castrigo and three cruisers, the IFS Alrodey, IFS Floria and the IFS Corcovado to the Cimmerian Isles with the aim of guarding a flotilla of cargo ships carrying weapons, food and other supplies for the Republican forces in Northern Elwynn. On board is a special regiment of the Princely Marines who will train and assist the military forces in Cimmeria and Fieldburg. This marks the first time the Calbain navy is deployed outside of Calbion since the Euran War.
- 10.VII.1692 AN:
- Pro-Verionist Protests in Chryse begin, with a general strike and protests begin, calling for Chryse to join the rebels. The local government in Chryse is unamused.
- Natopian satellite imaging of the major naval anchorages in Calbion isles reveals four capital ships absent from their previously noted berths. In view of previous statements from the government of Calbion, the possibility of a sortie being conducted in support of the Elwynnese rebellion is considered to be a credible one. In line with official policy the Cibola and Tapfer Theatre Commands did not respond by dispatching warships, however shore based and orbital reconnaissance assets were urgently tasked to locate the missing ships whilst an alert was transmitted to the headquarters of Benacia Command in Merensk and the Maritime Armada in Requill.
- 11.VII.1692 AN:
- Following a direct appeal from Ayesha al-Osman to Selardi Jen Daniyal, commander of the Eastern Banner Group of Benacia Command, Horjin armoured fighting vehicles from the Ransenari 1st Regiment of Light Dragoons crossed over into Elwynnese Chryse. Horrific scenes ensued as the tracked vehicles crushed dozens of demonstrators whilst pushing through improvised barricades thrown up in their path.
- The battleship MAS Conqueror slipped its moorings at Port Istvan and proceeded on a northerly course, joined at sea by three Dominator-class missile cruisers and the Imperator-class arsenal ship Invincible.
- The Central Banner Fleet (Black Legions), and the Shire Sea Flotilla (Navy of Ransenar), have corvettes and U-boats at sea joining the search. Meanwhile the 6th (Naval) Division of the Jaysh-al Sathrati, supported by FF-380 Buzzard gunships, commenced a sweep of the islands of Sathrati for any suspect vessels attempting to take a short cut through Shirerithian territorial waters.
- 12.VII.1692 AN:
- An immense convoy of 400 Snatch Land Rovers crosses the border into Chryse from the Ransenari side, carrying 1,600 troops drawn from the 2nd Field Gendarmery Regiment, the 11th Engineer Regiment, and the 3rd Force Support Logistic Regiment.
- Western Banner Group naval stations (New Blackstone, Sagittarius, Salome Eiland) alerted to monitor for suspicious shipping movements by any parties attempting to run supplies to Elwynn and Amokolia via the Great Western Sea.
- 1.VIII.1692 AN: Chryse's protests "spread" to Kaamiozyr where various clans of Tarr people clash with one another, different groups supporting different sides in the soon-to-be civil war. "Kontraktniki" from the Maritime Support Group sortied from the settlement's UDF Station in an effort to quell the disorder, using live ammunition in instances where the Tarr refused to heed orders to disperse.
- 2.VIII.1692 AN: The hunt for the Jacobo Castrigo ends in ignominy as a UDF Nereid gravimetric patrol vehicle dispatched on a reconnaissance flight over Wolfraven is engaged by a pair of C-61 Buzzards whilst over the Cimmerian Sea north of the Bailiwick of Moss. After surviving the interception attempt the Nereid aborted its mission and turned about sharply for friendly territory. After receiving reports of the unusual intercept, the Eastern Banner Group obtained approval from Command Executive to dispatch a Zephyr for a high altitude reconnaissance flight over the Cimmerian Isles and adjacent waters. The overflight provided confirmation of a carrier, three cruisers, and an assortment of cargo ships due west of Wolfraven, placing the Calbion task force further north than the Maritime Armada had anticipated.
- 3.VIII.1692 AN: Capital ships of the Maritime Armada (designation Task Force 1692.1) rendezvous with the Shire Sea Flotilla of the Ransenari Navy off-shore due north from the shallow wide bay known as Winter's Peace.
- 4.VIII.1692 AN: The Battle of the Rockwind Passage occurred offshore from the Cimmerian island of Cromswind. The combined Raspurid fleet departed their anchorage in Winter's Peace and approached the Rockwind Passage from the south in the darkness of the morning and passed undetected on their way towards mounting an anti-ship missile strike against the Calbionese capital ships off-shore from Wolfraven.
- 7.VIII.1692 AN: Kaamiozyr: The pro-Rebel Tarr, having more or less conquered the pro-Prince Tarr due to finding large quantities of Storish weapons and bombs in the countryside, siege the fence of the UDF base. Their leader, Rusty, so named by his Elfinshi former slave master his complexion, gives the UDF an ultimatum: Either the UDF evacuate from Feanoria, or the siege will continue. Rusty informs the UDF garrison that the Tarr rebels outnumber the UDF, and have the base surrounded at all points. The Tarr also have the Storish weapons.
- 9.VIII.1692 AN: Rusty speaks before the Tarr nation surrounding the UDF base. He says that the Elwynnese are a nation of racists and genocidists and it is no nation the Tarr should align themselves with. He proclaims the Republic of Tarrland with himself as president to the cheers of the crowd.
- Noticing the assembled crowd, a forward observer from the UDF Combined Arms Detachment, operating from a concealed position, radioed the Perimeter Defence Command Grid to call in a fire strike on the coordinates now provided. Over the ensuing five minutes the two 105 mm light guns available to the garrison fired off forty-eight high explosive rounds fused to air burst at a height of 25 metres over the targeted area, saturating the immediate vicinity with lethal shards of metal shrapnel scattering at high velocities. As the forward observer now felt obliged to withdraw from his hide, the single R-1 Whirdlebirb available to the garrison was sent out to investigate and to engage any individuals or groups present at the scene. The attack and subsequent strafing of the survivors resulted in 479 deaths and in excess of 1,200 injuries amongst the Tarr rebels. Amongst those seriously wounded was "Rusty" himself.
- 10.VIII.1692 AN: The MV Trihemiolia, an AlkhivaMax bulk grain carrier registered to an obscure holding company headquartered in the International Mandate, was struck by a pair of sea-skimming missiles at a location about four hundred kilometres distant of Port Illumination in Upper Elwynn, its most probable destination. Fire suppression systems aboard were swiftly overwhelmed by the ensuing conflagration and the order to abandon ship was given and the ship's emergency warning radio beacon activated. An hour after the initial attack the stricken burning vessel was struck by two torpedoes. Although the crippled ship began to list heavily to port, it nonetheless remained afloat in spite of the calamitous damage which had been heaped upon it.
- 11.VIII.1692 AN: Unconfirmed reports indicate that several packs of attack submarines are cruising the Great Western Sea from the naval station in Halwrach towards the North.
Escalation (IX.–XII.1692 AN)
- 3.X.1692 AN: The "Hunger Plan", a classified proposal by the Nahust Vazir of the Alalehzamini Autonomous Republic, Adam al-Osman, for the permanent suppression of northern separatism, is endorsed by the Commission for Coordination and the Commission for Defence and duly authorised by the Court of the Princess in a closed session held at the temporary wartime capital of Islus.
- 8.X.1692 AN: Following a two month siege, typified by difficulties in achieving resupply from Normark and New Blackstone, the UDF garrison defending Station Kaamiozyr capitulated on terms. Surviving armaments to be put beyond operational use before surrender. Internment for garrison for duration of hostilities or until repatriation can be negotiated via third parties. The Maritime Support Group detachment assigned to the station, considering itself to not be bound by the terms of the surrender, boarded such boats as were available to them in harbour and relocated northwards along the coast in order to deliberate as to whether to continue the fight on Feanoria from the Green or return to a friendly port.
- 15.X.1692 AN: "Patterns of procurement" (peripheral) – stock prices of chemical manufacturers in Alduria-Wechua, Natopia, and the UGB rose exponentially off the back of exceptionally strong order books for 1693 AN. Market analysists noted a decidedly atypical series of bulk orders for general defoliants placed by the Benacian Directorate of the Honourable Company as driving the cross-industry trend.
- 24.X.1692 AN: The Government of the Republic of Elwynn and Amokolia recognises the independence of the Republic of Tarrland.
- 2.XI.1692 AN: Kalgachia joined the Republic of Elwynn and Amokolia in extending recognition to the Republic of Tarrland.
- 5.XI.1692 AN: Isor Isor defects from his post in Fieldburg. A manhunt is ordered by the Ministry of the Interior and the Committee of General Security.
Winter (XIII.–XV.1692 AN)
- 3.XIII.1692 AN: (Peripheral) – there were appropriately urgent questions in the Natopian Frenzy following the admission of senior Natopian Defense Force (NDF) officers that the Maritime Armada task force, which had participated in the Battle of the Rockwind Passage earlier in the year, had entered that engagement carrying almost two thirds of Tapfer Command's allocation of S-2 Standard Missiles (1,056 out of 1,800). Criticisms of procurements made under the former Allied Production Matrix ensued, to the discomfort of those who had held ministerial portfolios during that period.
- 7.XIII.1692 AN: Rejecting reports in the Daily Mail and Telegraph of Eliria that volunteers from Northbloom had crossed into Amokolia to fight alongside rebel forces, the government of Kalgachia also denied a request by Benacia Command to facilitate access to the ostensibly joint Kalgachi-UGB administered protectorate for personnel of the Black Legions to conduct an inspection of the Northbloom Dragoons. The Political Directorate of Benacia Command responded by accusing Kalgachia of a further violation of the Treaty of Gloomburg.
- 12.XIII.1692: With the crops in Elwynn and Amokolia being stored during the early days of the harvest, the government of the Republic institutes an embargo on export of agricultural products throughout the upcoming autumn, winter and spring. The government also introduced a food-coupon system for the purchase of agricultural and other food products. It is hoped that this will ensure a healthy food distribution throughout the Republic despite the seemingly deliberate policy of the Raspur Pact in targeting food imports at sea.
Still more winter (I.–II.1693 AN)
- 4.I.1693 AN: To replace losses incurred during the previous year, the Court of the Princess mandated the governments of Alalehzamin, Mishalacia and the Sovereign Confederation to raise Landstormen in their respective autonomous republics. To the Landstorm would be assigned all boys aged 14 to 16 and all men aged 33 to 45, excepting those in reserved occupations, as well as any men previously rejected as unfit for military service in the UDF.
- 12.I.1693 AN:
- (Peripheral) – Benacia Command issues an urgent operational requirement for the development and mass production of the M1693 533 mm torpedo to replenish stockpiles depleted during naval engagements off Cimmeria and in the Great Western Sea during the previous year.
- 48 hour truce in Eliria to allow humanitarian winter relief supplies to reach civilians trapped in the city.
- 17.II.1693 AN: (Peripheral) – Zeed's surprise attack on Constancia and Suren, initiating the Third Euran War, brings it into the anti-Raspurid camp as a co-belligerent.
Spring (III.–V.1693 AN)
- 12.III.1693 AN: Officials from the Commissariat Bureau of Benacia Command are encountered throughout the length of the UGB, Sanama, Drak-Modan, Brookshire, Guttuli, and Ransenar attempting to purchase commercial lorries, vans, and even private vehicles. In more rural areas there were even reports of Inspectorate troops supporting commissary officers in their efforts to requisition horses and other pack-animals.
- 23.III.1693 AN: Following disastrous defections which saw 80% of the maritime assets available to the UDF defect to the rebel forces at the onset of the Second Elwynnese Civil War, the order to reconstitute the Amphibious Corps of the UDF was given. With the remaining Elwynnese ports in UDF hands (Anun, Asantelian, Avakair, Caligae and New Harbour) within range of rebel air attacks, or else situated in isolated and icebound Normark, the decision was made to assemble new personnel and shipping at Capitolia on the UGB administered island of Florencia.
- 24.IV.1693 AN: Average desertion rates of 12% reported in Elwynnese Landstorm. Rates of desertion and evasion of the draft being most prevalent in the bailiwicks of the Sovereign Confederation and amongst ethnic Elw. UDF authorised to place "reinforcing detachments" behind Landstorm-held sections of the line so as to collect and return any personnel who became separated from their parent units.
- 5.V.1693 AN: Presented with photographic evidence, garnered by Natopian satellite reconnaissance, of four Burdock SAM launcher vehicles deployed in southern Amokolia, west of Highbloom, the Kalgachi DTW remained intransigent and rebuffed demands from Emma Baarsma, Benacia Command's legate in Octavyan, for the immediate recall of these vehicles and the deployment of an Inspectorate force in Northbloom to verify the evacuation of all KDF military stores out of the joint-protectorate, so as to avoid any such further occurrences in future. The Kalgachi position, that the launcher vehicles were mock-ups fabricated by the rebels was met with disbelief when it was reported to Merensk.
- 12.V.1693 AN: Faca Automobiles Rothaven LLC Faca Cars Lune Villa LLC, Stonetree Engineering Group, and the Tusk Auto Works LLC, received production orders from Benacia Command for 500,000 Snatch Land Rovers to be delivered within a two year window directly to the UDF. Tusk Auto Works was specifically requested to devote its entire production capacity to the production of 100,000 vehicles for delivery in the first year of the contract.
- 13.V.1693 AN: To strengthen the resolve of Landstorm formations, which have previously suffered from high rates of desertion and from instances of low morale, the Political Directorate of Benacia Command was henceforth to directly appoint Political Discipline and Education Officers to Landstorm regiments, at a rate of 1 per squadron, 1 per demi-regiment, and 1 per regiment - providing for a total of 13 political discipline and education officers assigned to each regiment.
- 14.V.1693 AN: Jón Frioriksson, a resident of Caligae in Cape Farewell, otherwise notable as a defender playing for Farvælska in the Elwynn Premier League, was arrested by officers of the Panopticon Department (UDF) on charges of entering into treasonable correspondence with the rebel government in Lenfidiq. His guilt having already been assessed and confirmed by a session of the Court of Star Chamber, held in camera, Jón Frioriksson was taken under guard to the village of Andelarion on the headland of Cape Farewell, where he was cruelly trampled to death by horses.
- 24.V.1693 AN:
- 155,791 men under arms, drawn from the Elwynnese Landstorm, assembled at Kingsgate.
- Naval forces at Kilda Naval Base greatly increased over the course of the first months of 1693. In addition, observed noticed an increase in Princely Marine Corps personnel among the 68th rifle regiment located in Hyperborea.
Denouement (VI.–VIII.1693 AN)
- 9.VI.1693 AN: Nine Type XXV U-Boats (Tempest, Thresher, Thorn, Timur, Trespass, and Thorn) sortied from Marinestation Sagittarius and entered the Great Western Sea.
- 10.VI.1693 AN: Battlegroup Amarra, a fleet formation of the Sanaman Navy centred around the missile cruiser SNS Amarra and the amphibious assault ship SNS Spleazure, dropped anchor off-shore from Capitolia. The port being the administrative seat of the UGB in Florencia and temporary home station of the UDF's "Fleet Resurrection Command", a formation tasked with rebuilding the maritime arm of the Elwynnese armed forces following the devastating defections of the previous year.
- 12.VI.1693 AN:
- After months of preparation, following the better part of a year spent in amassing forces for the coming struggle and indulging only desultory skirmishes, the Self-Defence Forces of Elwynn and Amokolia managed to beat the UDF to the punch and be the first to launch their spring offensive. In coordination with air strikes and probing assaults across the line of control from Araxion, the partisans of the northern separatists raised the banner of revolt in the urban district of the bailiwick of Lake Camel. Although the rebel assault on the Chambers of the Worshipful Corporation of Lake Camel, the seat of civic government in the bailiwick was bloodily repulsed by the Landstorm following a betrayal by one of the conspirators, the example set was undiminished and coordinated risings continued in Utasia, with fighting breaking out in Amareazerke, Fenririe, Ironstone, Kimrynore, Mohamedion, Nauron Inna, and Shahazerke. Even Islus, seat of the Court of the Princess since the beginning of the civil war, was gripped by upheavals and saw the municipal buildings fall into the hands of insurgents following a brief fusillade which had been enough to disperse the Landstorm. By the end of a day of bitter fighting, during which the partisans had been joined by growing bands of rebellious citizenry, deserters, and opportunist criminals, the Landstorm had only been able to quell the rising in Fenririe, Ironstone, and Mohamedion. In Islus itself the situation had spiralled so far out of control that the 78th Territorial Division of the UDF had been diverted away from the front to restore order in the city.
- The absence of any UDF formation from the defensive lines being keenly felt at this moment as the five brigades attached to the SDF's Midlands Front, supported by aviation and riverine forces struck southwards to support the uprising.
- The 4th Air Group, supported by the 5th Air Group attached to the neighbouring Eliria Front, achieved a devastating success in striking the forward dispersal aerodromes of the UDF's 4th Tactical Aviation Division. A full 40% of all operational airframes available to the rebels was thrown into the dawn battle, at the forefront of which were 200 F-9 Ashavan II, 53 F-8 Shrike, and 23 GAV(P)-5 Nereid, the latter of which had feinted into Mishalacia before dropping to tree top level and making a direct run for Ardashirshahr and the Sanaman controlled aerodrome there. Even though the attack came in low, the slow and bulky GAV(P)-5 Nereids lit up the Cutlass battery radar like a Christmas tree. Right away, 27 F-9 Ashavan II's were scrambled from the aerodrome and repelled a direct ground attack against the base, resulting in an air battle further away. The Sanaman anti-air batteries were silenced due to friendly aircraft in the battle. The Sanaman fighters, being faster, more agile and having more modern avionics and counter-measures, attacked the group of Nereids from above. All in all, 14 enemy aircraft were destroyed and the remaining seven Nereids aborted the attack. In the battle, one Ashavan II from the 102. Fighter Squadron was damaged by an S-2 fired by one of the Nereids when the chaff dispenser malfunctioned, forcing the pilot to eject. The routine dawn patrols mounted by 4th TAD, amounting to 46 F-9 Ashavan II airborne over Alalehzamin at that moment, were meanwhile vectored towards the incoming waves of hostile radar contacts. Although the powerful Benacia Command controlled radar facility located at Shirekeep-Foley Aerodrome and Floret airborne early warning aircraft had flashed warning signals to the headquarters of the Northern Banner Air Force, the ensuing alert had not been relayed in a timely fashion to the dispersal airfields in the upland regions of Alalehzamin. With the result that significant numbers of aircraft were still on the ground when the enemy raiding forces appeared overhead. Ground-based air defences were negligible in the UDF held sectors overflown, comprising of a mere 9 37 mm radar-tracking autocannons that failed to achieve a single target lock let alone a successful engagement. Meanwhile, the majority of direct air to air engagements took place in what rapidly became the densely packed airspace between Viskeor and Kilkadesh. Whilst the intercepting Raspurid aircraft had the altitude advantage and utilised the look-down/shoot-down capability of their Froyalan radar to the full, they were simply overwhelmed in the ensuing melee. Ultimately, in spite of the carnage endured by the SDF in the skies, the air strikes destroyed 222 F-9's on the ground, primarily with strafing runs and air to ground rocket fire directed at aircraft attempting to scramble or else at their dispersal points in non-hardened shelters, waiting to be fuelled-up and armed.
Retribution (IX.–XII.1693 AN)
- 3.X.1693 AN: Johan Anderion, longstanding enemy of the loyalist regime in Elluenuueq, previously detained and held under house arrest in the Shirerithian city of Cabbagefall, a suburb of Shirekeep, perished after several days of agony endured following complaining of stomach pains.
- Calbion: becomes the first state to declare its support for the Republic on 15.II.1692 AN. The Calbain government recognised Benjamin Sluyjs and the Unified Congress as the sole representatives of Elwynn and Amokolia. In a radio broadcast, Governor-General Richard ab Ioan promised "full support to the brave people of Elwynn, who have come to reject the yoke of Raspurid oppression" and announced that a first shipment of defensive material was on its way.
- Jingdao: Following the outbreak of the conflict, opinions concerning the Republic differed among higher echelons. Most officials saw a revolt in name of the people as counterproductive and dangerous. No revolt, only when beneficial to the Heavenly Light, was seen as a worthwhile endeavour. It were members of the Young Guard, including Diwang Jin San, who eventually formed a Jing Volunteer Corps consisting of 3,200 volunteers of Kildarian descent to aid the secessionists in their struggle. Shipments of material, including 8mm rifles (100,000), squad machine-guns (10,000) and mortars (1,000) would be sent with blockade running ships under a false flag: when leaving Camoleo River, the Jingdaoese ships were ordered to raise a neutral, Senyan flag to confuse the Raspurists, under the guise of sending humanitarian aid.
- Batavian Commune: Premier Pieter Beeck were the first to praise the courageous revolutionaries of Elwynn and Amokolia. He expressed his hope to combine forces and fight off the reactionaries (with which he meant both the Batavian royalists as Elluenuueq government). The Commune, despite itself still engulfed into conflict with Batavia, promised to send a battalion of battle hardened soldiers of the Batavian People's Army.
- Kalgachia: Denounced what it termed as "inept, bullying tactics", after learning of the declaration by the Benacia Command of the Raspur Pact that Kalgachia's land and air transport corridors across the territory of Pact member states would be indicted until such time as a more cooperative attitude in combating the rebellion in Elwynn was manifested. The Kalgachi ruling body instead, on 3.VII.1692 AN, conferred recognition upon the Republic of Elwynn and Amokolia and announced that, for the duration of hostilities, all payments made to the Unified Governorates under the Treaty of Gloomburg would instead be utilised the defray the cost of extending credit to the authorities in Elwynn and Amokolia and the Batavian Commune for purchases made in Kalgachia. This move amounting to a response similar to that undertaken by Kalgachia during the Yastreb era to provide aid to Nova England that proved critical to that nation's survival during the War of the Casks (a subsidiary conflict within the War of Lost Brothers).
- Batavia: Confronted with increased hostility near its borders, the De Withe Cabinet decided to close the borders and declare its neutrality. In a press interview he told journalists: "While our hearts are with the millions of Elwynnese, Amokolians and Franks within those borders, we as a nation are faced with our own hardships. We will aid those in need through assisting humanitarian efforts, but will uphold a strict policy of non-interference."
- Senya: The government issued a statement calling for peace and dialogue, whilst also formalising processes for temporary resettlement of refugees if needed. Senya also stated it would work with its partners in Benacia to assist in the distribution of humanitarian aid.
- Senya's offer of assistance as a neutral go-between was ultimately accepted by Elluenuueq and the Raspur Pact in the tenth month of 1692, with the Senyan foreign ministry being invited officially to coordinate arrangements for the safety and good treatment of prisoners of war and displaced persons, in cooperation with humanitarian agencies such as the Red Orchid Society.
- Hexarchy: Faced with the internal issue of whether to support a potential ally or let nature take its course, the Hexarchy ultimately left the decision to its Praetor to make after much deliberation. Knowing that Normark was also nearby and could act as a potential over-land trading partner, the Praetor Gilgamesh II ultimately decided to send a small force of his personal guard in support of the Princely Court's government. Citing support for national order in the wake of his own country's modernization, the Praetor stated that it was in his country's best interests to actively take steps, however small, to contribute to the long-term stability of one of the Raspur Pact's most important countries. About 650 troops were dispatched in support of this objective in early 1692.