Mercury general election, 2016
The Mercury general election of 2016 was held in June 2016 to elect the third Mercurian Parliament. Voting took place in 300 constituencies, each electing one representative, using the instant-runoff voting system.
This was the first general election since Mercury's claims of North Antarctica and Qavaqaqqaqqaniitqeqertaq. The National Party had formed a coalition with the Livingston Democrats following the Southern Territories by-election, 2015. Three parties contested 293 out of the 300 seats, excluding those of the Speaker, Deputy Speaker, three seats in Qavaqaqqaqqaniitqeqertaq and two seats in Lucerne. Independent England, led by Angela Pike, were seeking to increase their majority of seats in Nova England, following the aftermath of the 2014 Witan election, when four parties formed a coalition in order to stop her party from leading the house.
- National Party – led by Joe Foxon, the incumbent President. The National Party were the largest party in the governing coalition coming into the election.
- Conservative Party – led by James Cardley, officially the opposition party in the previous Parliament.
- Mercurian Labour Party – led by Caroline Griffiths.
- Faatasi le Nuu – led by Suivai Umataua, the majority party in the Fono le Lusa. The party's two representatives only vote on issues concerning Lucerne.
- Livingston Democrats – led by William Robertsen. The Livingston Democrats were the second party in the governing coalition.
- People's Front – led by Joachim Sanchez, who has branched the party out from its roots in North Antarctica, and is now contesting seats in the mainland, despite going into the election with 17 seats, all in North Antarctica.
- Independent England – led by Angela Pike, came into the election with 19 seats. The party won 45 out of the 100 seats in the 2014 Witan elections.
|Political party||Leader||Candidates||Votes||Elected||Gain/loss||% of votes||% of seats|
|National Party||Joe Foxon||293||145||−1||—||48.3|
|Mercurian Labour Party||Caroline Griffiths||293||39||+3||—||13|
|Independent England||Angela Pike||39||26||+7||—||8.7|
|Livingston Democrats||William Robertsen||57||23||0||—||7.7|
|People's Front||Joachim Sanchez||105||—||16||−1||—||5.3|
|Ataatsit Pissiippaa||Inuaq Suersaq||3||7,388||2||0||—||0.7|
|Faatasi le Nuu||Suivai Umataua||2||†||2||0||–||0.7|
|Qeqertaq Ilagiit||Peder Jensen||3||3,929||1||0||—||0.3|
|Deputy Speaker||Peter Cornell||1||14,215||1||0||—||0.3|
† – Elected by Fono le Lusa
Seats by state
|Political party||Deacon||Lucerne||May||Mercury||North Antarctica||Nova England||Nova English Korea||QQQ||Taylor||Tow Law||Total|
|Mercurian Labour Party||1||0||10||9||0||2||5||0||6||6||39|
|Faatasi le Nuu||0||2||0||0||0||0||0||1||0||0||2|
Election of the President
|Political party||Candidate||Round 1||Status|
|National Party||Joe Foxon||170||Elected|
|Mercurian Labour Party||Caroline Griffiths||58||Defeated|
|General elections in Mercury||Followed by:|