Mercury general election, 2013
The Mercury general election of 2013 was held in June 2013 to elect the second Mercurian Parliament. Voting took place in 240 constituencies, each electing one representative, using the instant-runoff voting system.
This was the first general election since Mercury's claims of Nova England and Lucerne. The National Party held a comfortable majority after the previous election. Three parties contested 236 out of the 240 seats, excluding those of the Speaker, Deputy Speaker and two seats in Lucerne. Independent England, a party set up by Charles Tudor after the controversial blocking of The Name Act (2013) by the Mercurian Parliament, was a nationalist party seeking to gain Nova English independence.
- National Party – led by Joe Foxon, the incumbent President. The National Party held a comfortable majority of 82 coming into the election.
- Mercurian Labour Party – led by Mary Lipton, officially the opposition party in the previous Parliament.
- Conservative Party – led by James Cardley.
- Faatasi le Nuu – led by Suivai Umataua, the majority party in the Fono le Lusa. The party's two representatives only vote on issues concerning Lucerne.
- Independent England – led by Charles Tudor, came into the election with 29 seats won under the name Conservative-Royalist Party following the 2012 Nova England by-election.
|Political party||Leader||Candidates||Votes||Elected||Gain/loss||% of votes||% of seats|
|National Party||Joe Foxon||238||3,137,104||137||−6||56.8||57.1|
|Mercurian Labour Party||Mary Lipton||238||839,507||36||+5||15.2||15.0|
|Independent England||Charles Tudor||39||519,169||19||−8||9.4||7.9|
|Faatasi le Nuu||Suivai Umataua||2||†||2||0||–||0.8|
|Deputy Speaker||Peter Cornell||1||15,491||1||0||0.3||0.4|
† – Elected by Fono le Lusa
Seats by state
|Political party||Deacon||Lucerne||May||Mercury||Nova England||Nova English Korea||Taylor||Tow Law||Total|
|Mercurian Labour Party||0||0||9||10||3||6||5||3||36|
|Faatasi le Nuu||0||2||0||0||0||0||0||0||2|
Election of the President
|Political party||Candidate||Round 1||Status|
|National Party||Joe Foxon||166||Elected|
|General elections in Mercury||Followed by:|