Gasconiaans Plein (Davignon)
The Gasconiaans Plein, or Gasconian Square, is a square in the City of Davignon, located west of the Plaza of Independence. It is the central point of the Arkadius IV Avenue. The architect of the square, Frank Canard, erected the Triumphal Arch of Constantine in honour of the military victory of the Duke of Davignon at the Battle of Amorica, during the Gasconian War. Construction of its main monument began in 1555 AN and took 26 years to build. It was finally inaugurated in 1581 AN.
The surrounding houses were partly damaged and taken down after a fire. The architect Adolf Perrier redesigned those in a typical Batavian renaissance style at the end of the 17th century.