Emperor of the Natopians
|Emperor of the Natopians|
|The Imperial Arms of His Most Bovic Majesty|
|since 12 Sonnuber 1653 (AN)|
|Style||His Most Bovic Majesty |
(in international correspondence)
|Residence||Vista de Nada Palace|
|Inaugural holder||Nathan Waffel-Paine|
The Emperor of the Natopians is the monarch, head of state and commander-in-chief of the Bovic Empire of the Natopian Nation.
History of the Title
Origins of the Natopian monarchy can be traced back to 1499 when the Order of the Black Hole was established in the Natopian republic. The Order introduced chivalric, monarchist, and autocratic elements into the republican government. The Natopian monarchy was first established in 1506 when Nathan Waffel-Paine proclaimed an end to the Sovereign Imperial Republic of Natopia following the collapse of the Venerable Union of Aligned States. Members of the Order of the Black Hole proclaimed Nathan to be King of Natopia. In 1509, due to rapid expansion, Nathan I declared himself to be the Sovereign Natopian Emperor. Nathan held this version of the title until 1533, when the empire was drastically and suddenly replaced with a new republic. The republic almost immediately collapsed, causing the Natopian Dark Age, during which Athlon flourished as an independent nation where the Natopian culture persevered and the Bovic religion grew in popularity.
In 1536, the Natopian empire was re-established and Nathan assumed the new title of Bovic Emperor, reflecting the growing impact of Bovinism on Natopian culture. It is important to note that at the time Nathan was both Natopian emperor and Pentheros of the Bovic Church. Nathan held this title until he abdicated in 1556 to Konrad von Zeck who also held the title of Bovic Emperor until 1575. Emperor Konrad served as a powerless figurehead monarch from 1567 to 1572, the years during which the Butter Bull incarnate ruled Natopia directly and the Pentheros often served as head of government.
A few years after the Butter Bull left Micras, in 1575, Nathan (acting as Pentheros and claiming a divine mandate) abolished the monarchy in favor of a theocracy directly under him as Sovereign of Natopia. In 1589 Nathan was assassinated on the floor of the Elwynnese Senate. He was resurrected the same year by the Butter Spirit and apotheosized as the fourth divine entity of the Butter Quadrate. Although Nathan may now have been "The Once-Living God" his grasp on reality began to quickly unravel and his grasp on state affairs spiraled out of control.
The lack of central leadership culminated in the Natopian Civil War between the Imperialists (Ziegeland and Tas Neemia) and the Coalition (Sororiya and Klaasiya) in 1587-89.
In 1596, plagued by the insanity and morose of being torn from death and reanimated in a body made of butter, Nathan began the process of transitioning himself out of power. He began advocating for a return to a simple republican government, and so in 1596 he gave up the title of Sovereign and chose a "simpler" title, one that related to Natopia's early days: Chancellor of the Dominion. He held this title until 1608, during which he attempted to minimize the central Natopian government as much as possible, putting more power in the hands of the four demesnes at the time (Tas Neemia, Ziegeland, Sororiya, and Klaasiya). By 1608 the Natopian government existed only in the form of the Frenzy, which was a voluntary meeting of Representatives from the demesnes. Many advisors close to the frail chancellor towards the end of his life claim he was actively trying to split up the Natopian demesnes into an alliance of four sovereign states, which he believed would survive the trials of time better than a monolithic empire that could collapse all at once.
Nathan Waffel-Paine died, for good, in 1608 when he melted into the carpet of the Chancellor's office in Vista de Nada Palace. The Frenzy elected Christo Eucalyptos as the new Chancellor. Christo worried that without the guiding hand of Nathan--or any central figure--for the first time in 120 years, the Natopian nation may unravel into the four sovereign nations. After all, the civil war was only 19 years in the past.
Working with the Pentheros Neoptolemus of the Bovic Church, Christo had Nathan's adopted son, Nathaniel Ayreon-Kalirion proclaimed as Emperor of the Natopians in 1610. The Pentheral Bull declared that "All Bovics throughout Micras will owe fealty, devotion, and love to this Emperor, His Most Bovic Majesty. All Natopians will respect the Emperor as a living symbol of the nation and unity." The popular version of the title "of the Natopians" versus "of Natopia" was chosen to reflect the new ideal for the monarchy there to unite the people. The title had no legal basis in Natopia for several years and only had authority to act as ceremonial figurehead with the Chancellor's permission. The very first formal government position granted to the emperor was to serve as chief judge on court of final appeal. Chancellor Eucalyptos assigned many traditional and executive roles to the Emperor, and slowly the Emperor's role became tradition and eventually enshrined in Natopian law.
Nathaniel ruled as Emperor until 1619, when he abdicated in favor of his half-brother Naian Waffel-Paine. The title has remained in the Waffel-Paine family since then. The title is inherited, but until recently there were no rules for who a reigning emperor could pass it on to. Over the years the Frenzy has granted more and more power to the Emperor and as a result the Frenzy has also placed more restrictions on who may become Emperor. Currently the Emperor must maintain an Instrument of Succession to allow for orderly succession, and all potential heirs must be a member of the House of Waffel-Paine.
Powers and Duties
The powers of the Emperor are defined in the Natopian Constitution. The emperor is obligated to defend the Constitution, protect the Natopian nation from foreign and domestic threats, and serve as a model citizen for Natopians to unify behind. The Emperor also has specific powers that place him in the executive and judicial branches of the Natopian government.
The Emperor shares executive duties with the Chancellor of Natopia. In particular, the Emperor has exclusive jurisdiction over foreign affairs and defense. The Emperor appoints and receives ambassadors and other envoys and he or officers of his Court negotiate treaties on the government's behalf. The emperor is commander-in-chief of the Natopian military. During a national emergency declared by the Frenzy, the Emperor can rule by decree alone. In practice, the Emeperor's executive duties are carried out by the officers of the Imperial Court of Natopia.
The Emperor chairs Natopia's supreme court, The Court of the Noble Fountain, although in practice leaves many decisions to his Secretary for Legal Affairs. The Emperor, his Secretary, and an appointed-Advisor decide cases together. The Emperor also has the power to grant amnesty, commute sentences, and pardon convicts.
Since the founding of Natopia in 1471 and before the proclamation of the Natopian kingdom i 1506, the Natopian head of state held several titles.
- Natopian Alliance (1471 - c.1488)
- President: This title was used by Nett Opaegh during Natopia's semi-mythical founding. The Natopian Alliance consisted of settlements around present day Lindstrom, Andiopolis, and Hazelwood.
- Sovereign Imperial Republic of Natopia (c.1488-1506)
- Grand Chancellor: The Grand Chancellor's role in the early Natopian republics varied greatly, but almost always included the power to make decrees. The Grand Chancellor sometimes presided directly over the Frenzy, and at other times a separate officer, usually styled as Consul, presided.
List of Rulers
This is a list of all Rulers of Natopia, and their epithets, since it was founded as a city in 1471 AN (1113 ASC), holding the equivalent title to Head of State.
- Nett Opaegh the Conquerer
- City President, 1471 - c.1488
- Nathan Waffel-Paine the Only
- Grand Chancellor, c.1488-1506
- King of Natopia, 1506 - 1509
- Sovereign Natopian Emperor, 1509 - 1533?
- Brian Capelle the Late
- President 1533?
- Anarchy, 1533? - 1536 (see Natopian Dark Age)
- Nathan Waffel-Paine the Only
- Bovic Emperor of Natopia, 1536 - 1556
- Konrad von Zeck the Willing
- Bovic Emperor of Natopia, 1556 - 1575
- Butter Bull the Malevolent
- Lord of Natopia, 1567 - 1572
- Nathan Waffel-Paine the Only
- Sovereign of Natopia (as Theodores Athanatos), 1575 - 1596
- Chancellor of the Dominion, 1596 -1608
- Christo Eucalyptos the Kingmaker
- Chancellor of the Dominion, 1608 - 1610
- Nathaniel Ayreon-Kalirion of Waffel-Paine the Returned, the Once-Blinded
- Emperor of the Natopians, 1610 - 1619
- Naian Waffel-Paine the Magnificent (posthumous), the Evergreen(1623-1644), the Bastard (1619 - 1623)
- Emperor of the Natopians, 1619 - 1644
- Asara Waffel-Paine the Pious
- Empress of the Natopians, 1644 - 1647
- Zakyyr Angus-Moonoak of Waffel-Paine the Bold
- Emperor of the Natopians, 1647 - 1653
- Nathan Anders Aharsi Waffel-Paine
- Emperor of the Natopians, 1653 - present
Line of Succession
The order of succession to the throne of Natopia is set at the reigning Emperor's pleasure although it has usually passed from parent to eldest child. To be included in the line of succession, one must be a member of the Waffel-Paine family. In 1685, Nathan II issued a new Instrument of Succession that went into greater detail than previous emperors. It notably excluded reigning sovereigns that would otherwise be considered in line (such as Salome--and her heirs--and John) to avoid the possibility of bringing Natopia into a personal union.
- His Imperial Highness, Nathan Ludwig Elijah Waffel-Paine & Drak, Prince of Natopia, Duke of Demonsfall, Castellan of Trias,
- Her Imperial Highness, Vadoma Rowena Waffel-Paine & Drak, Princess of Natopia, Nawab of Hoyela
- Her Imperial Highness, Leonora Noor Waffel-Paine & Drak, Princess of Natopia, Castellan of Eucal
- Her Imperial Highness, Clara Sundara Waffel-Paine & Drak, Princess of Natopia, Holder of Hazelwood, Nawab of Tassity
- The Very Honorable, Lisa Starshade of Waffel-Paine & Drak
- Lord Carl Starshade of Waffel-Paine & Drak
- Lord Stav Starshade of Waffel-Paine & Drak
- Lord Fen Starshade of Waffel-Paine & Drak
- His Imperial Highness, Aldin Ayreon-Kalirion, Prince of Shireroth, Castellan of Maconvale
- His Imperial Highness, David Ayreon-Kalirion, Prince of Shireroth, Castellan of Lower Macon
- His Imperial Highness, Utas Enrique Naian, Prince of Shireroth
- Her Imperial Highness, Abigail Ayreon-Kalirion, Princess of Shireroth
- The Very Honorable, Gwyn Moonoak, Castellan of Bellerive
- Anwyn Moonoak
- His Grace, Llyr Angus-Moonoak, Holder of Haven, Castellan of Andiopolis
- Lord Eremias Vidarion Angus-Moonoak
- Lady Thyra Angus-Moonoak
- The Honorable, Jayes Angus-Moonoak
Imperial Crown Jewels
The first Natopian monarch, Nathan Waffel-Paine, commissioned Dingo & Co. to create the Imperial Crown Jewels for the new kingdom. The jeweler delivered a crown, scepter, and sword. These three items have been symbols of the Natopian government since 1506. Even during interregnums, the crown jewels have been appropriated to represent different branches of the government.
Imperial State Crown
The Imperial Crown represents the Emperor's personal authority to rule. It is made of sterling silver, a green velvet cap, ermine fur, pearls, emeralds, saphhires, and amethysts. The coronet is encircled by crosses and fleur-de-Natopis. At the time of the crown's creation, Natopia was a Nazarene nation. There has been no serious discussion to replace the Nazarene crosses with Bovic yokes. The crown's arches are topped by an orb with a Cross of Sovereignty above it, representing Natopian supremacy over the world (a populist movement at the time).
Sword of Sovereignty
The Sword of Sovereignty represents the Emperor's judicial rights as a supreme judge. Its hilt is made of sterling silver, and the blade is thin steel. The hilt is covered in emeralds and sapphires. The general shape of the sword is an elongated and stylized Cross of Sovereignty. The sword is relatively light weight, and can be held aloft with one hand without discomfort. It is used during knighthood ceremonies. The sword was formerly entrusted into the care of the chief justice of Natopia, but now the emperor ceremonial weilds it again. It is displayed when the Court of the Noble Fountain is in session and it is features on the court's coat of arms.
The imperial scepter was commissioned to represent the legislative authority of the emperor. It is made of sterling silver, decorated with a Cross of Sovereignty, and a Fleur-de-Natopi, a decorative floral motif specifically created by Dingo & Co. for the crown jewels. It is encrusted with emeralds, sapphires, and a large amethyst. Although the crown jewels remain the property of the Emperor, the current Chancellor usually displays the Scepter in the Frenzy to represent the Chancellor's legislative authority in modern Natopian politics. The coat of arms of the Chancellor of Natopia features the scepter.