Council of Eliria
The Council of Eliria is the federal legislature of the Elwynnese Republic. Under the Elwynnese constitution, it has five members, of which one is the Prince, and thereafter 2 persons are appointed by each federal entity (the Alalehzamini Autonomous Republic and the Congressional Elwynn).
A decision by the Council of Eliria is made by:
- the vote of the Prince and the vote of four representatives ,
- the unanimous vote of the representatives of the autonomous republics (when the Prince is absent, unable or unwilling to cast a vote in favour), or,
- in matters of procedure, four votes.
Current members are:
|Prince of the Elwynnese Republic||Frederik Haabye Truls||N&H|
|Conducător of the Elwynnese Republic||Meqael Mizarielion||AIP|
|President of the Congress of the Elwynnese Republic||Li Naomiai Avon-El||DEM|
|Sardar of the Alalehzamini Automous Republic||Firdaus Abdollahi Mehr||N&H|
|Nahust Vazir (Prime Minister) of the AAR||Salvik Dorkolluerion||N&H|
|Speaker of the Nordisketing||Ola Valtatsjakk||RHA|
|Prime Minister of Normark||Sigrid Årud||EHS|
The Council of Eliria traces its origins to the Løgting of Elwynn established in 1535. Headed by Duke Harald of Froyalan, the Løgting was the first legislature of Elwynn. After the end of Harald's reign, it first changed its name to Elwynns Riksdag. From 1542 onwards Elwynn's legislature was known as Elwynns Riksdag, a name given to it by Duke Ardashir II Moqtada al-Osmani, until Duke Iskander Mirkdale decreed in the year 1546 that "The council known as Elwynns Riksdag shall henceforth be known as the Council at Eliria". In the year 1549, however, the Elwynnese government began to refer in its Ducal Decrees to the aforesaid legislature as Council of Eliria. The council remained known by that name throughout the remainder of Elwynn's pre-independence period; even during the days of the House System (1562-1567) when it served as the legislature of House Kalirion, the noble House controlling various territories that had appertained to the Duchy of Elwynn.
Subsequent to Elwynn's independence from Shireroth in 1567 the Council of Eliria changed in nature, becoming the executive council of Elwynn's head of state. The name of the Council of Eliria changed as well, but only after the union with Hurmu when the aforesaid executive council became known as the Roth Zera - which means Council of Three in the Elw language - a name which it retained until the year 1591 when a Constitution called the Charter of Elwynn came into force and the executive council became again known as the Council of Eliria. The main reason of changing the council's name was that the numbers of its membership over time structurally exceeded three and the name of Roth Zera had become a bit of a misnomer. Shortly before his resignation in 1597 Prince Elijah Ayreon re-established the Roth Zera as a kind of presidium of the Council of Eliria to serve as an emergency war cabinet stand-in. The aforesaid Roth Zera did not last beyond the tenure of Prince Elijah.
When Elwynn joined Shireroth again in the year 1600 the name Council of Eliria was kept. It remained the council's name until Elwynn's return to independence, with a brief interlude during the age of the communist regime when its name was changed to Presidium of the Standing Committee of the Supreme Council of the People's Democratic Republic of Elwynn, and 1669–1671 when the Council was in stasis. After the Ayreon-Kalirion Restoration in 1618, the Council of Eliria gained its status of advisory council to the Elwynnese monarch. Once independence was restored in 1671, the Council of Eliria took on its present role as the federal legislature of Elwynn.