Aldricism is a conservative–liberal political ideology, originally defined by the politician and statesman Hartmut Aldric, Duke of Calezi, Regent and Steward of Shireroth. Aldric founded the Imperial Democratic Party (IDP) to represent this ideology. The Imperial Democratic Party of Shireroth is commonly known as the "mother of Aldricism". Aldricism has also been referred to as a "neoliberal" ideology, though the term is commonly used by scholars and commentarists using opposing meanings.
Aldricism is a political ideology combining conservative policies with liberal stances, especially on economic, social and ethical issues. In many places, particularly Elwynn, it is a political conservatism strongly influenced by liberalism. While it may be different from country to country, there are some common threads in the overall ideology. Aldricism incorporates the classical liberal view of minimal government intervention in the economy, according to which individuals should be free to participate in the market and generate wealth without government interference. In a more recent development, however, Aldricism (especially in Ransenar and Natopia) has also come to hold that individuals cannot be thoroughly depended on to act responsibly in other spheres of life, therefore believing that a strong state is necessary to ensure law and order and social institutions are needed to nurture a sense of duty and responsibility to the nation. They also commonly support civil liberties, are strongly pro-Raspur Pact, and often embrace cosmopolitanism and internationalism. In Elwynn, this includes some socially conservative positions.
Aldricism has traditionally been associated with policies of economic liberalization including privatization, deregulation, globalization, free trade, austerity, and reductions in government spending in order to increase the role of the private sector in the economy and society. However, for many years, the defining features of Aldricism in both thought and practice have been the subject of substantial and, at times, heated scholarly debate.
Modern Aldricist thought has begun to emphasize more and more the need for the state to ensure that the free market produces better results that do not compromise the unity of the country and lead to political and economic instability. In Ransenar, the ruling Aldricist party, the Imperial Democratic Party has begun to promote the concept of the social market economy and a stronger role for the state with respect to the market, especially after its economic crisis from 1679 AN to 1682 AN.
Since the Kalirion Fracture, Aldricism is also represented in other countries by the following parties:
- Elwynn: Democratic Party of Elwynn (1680 AN-1684 AN);
- Natopia: Union Democratic Movement;
- Ransenar: Imperial Democratic Party of Ransenar;
- Constancia: Imperial Democratic Party of Constancia;
- Alduria-Wechua: Coalition for Federal Progress.
The Calezi Influence
The De La Cruz Influence
The O'Callaghan Influence
- Use of "Neoliberal" vs. "Neoaldricist", terms used interchangeably.
- Ongoing debate among political scholars over whether "Neo Aldricism" is truly more of an autochthonous Alduro-Wechua influence. The consensus is split among scholars and historians. Debates on the matter sometimes getting so specific over mundane matters that the debate over naming it the "Alvarez Influence" over the "Campos Influence" is is all by itself a hotly debated topic.
- Development of the national ideology of the Alduro-Wechua Federation.