New Kirrie

From MicrasWiki
(Redirected from New Kirriemuir)
Jump to navigationJump to search

New Kirrie is the capital, and largest, city of Hamland. It was founded at the beginning of the country when it served as as administrative fortified settlement on the Grateen Stream. A local hill, Dremann Mound (Dremann is the old Hammish for Hill, so now is translated Hill Mound) made for a good defensive plot which housed ancient hill fortifications. The castle which later was placed there was originally wooden before being built with stone. This castle was called Fort Keerae (impregnable). I the vicinity of the Fort were small buildings in which housed the population and acted as a small market. The local stream made for a decent water source making this a prime location for the early Kings.

As the power of the Hammish Kings grew, so did the town. The town began to expand downhill to the larger River Maton. The River Maton is a freshwater river which, when clean, has the potential to have fish in it. The fishing town of Athay became the first conurbation of the city. Old Kirrie was the term given to the old hilltop fort with New Kirrie becoming the lowland market town.

The power of the akingdom allowed for the town to expand using the new resources available. Eventually the King's residence moved down to the new town to the Salt Palace. The palace gets its name from one of the major exports of the time which made the monarchy so wealthy. The "salt momey" which paid for it eventually lent its name. The salt palace has had numous iterations. In the early days it was a residential townhouse for the King to stay in if leaving the fort. 2 expansions took place during the Enlightenment and Imperial eras. The Elightenment palace reflected new styles in living and architecture with vast rooms dedicated to knowledge and study. The building gained its facade and its main hallways. The second expansion took the building east and westwards with new rooms for living and luxury. As well as this the palace began to develop rooms for meeting and greeting foreign Kings and running affairs of state.

The Salt Palace is at the head of Treatra Boulevard. The boulevard runs from the apalace to the centre of town. At the other end of the Boulevard is the parliament of Hamland. The building is of the neoclasical style harking back to the ancient meetinfs of local lords in the building. The old parliament, of the classical oligarchic system of the region, was destroyed in an earthquake in 1743. This allowed the development of a new parliament and, along with it, a new political system reflecting the changes in thought and the opportunities opened up by the new building. The new building reflected the classical style of grand arches with dramatic scenes portrayed atop of each. The Grand Arch of the Unicorn is the official entrance and looks up Treatra towards the palace. It faces this direction so the King can make his short journey there.

A turn towards the river allows the visitor to go to the local park. At the north of the park is the financial district and to the south is the old marketplace. The park, Yuul Park, was originally a hunting and recreational area for the monarchy which was donated to the public following a war with Taeland in which Hamland was eventually the victor (the war of 1432). The park has a number of statues and fountains as well as the 'star pillars' which reach out north, east, south and west representing the centre of the Kingdom.