Small Question on Cräiteland

General discussion and chat forum for the MCS. Discuss anything about the maps or chat with other members here.
Craitman
Administrator-General

Small Question on Cräiteland

Post by Craitman »

After a suggestion, I was thinking on other people's opinions.

Cräiteland, in case you didn't know, is an Absolute Monarchy. Saying that, we do have votes on big decisions affecting us.

Who here thinks that a parliament would be a good idea in Cräiteland? I personally do not, as many of our citizens are very inactive...

Craitman
Craitman H. Pellegrino CrA; CY; HGH; NM; SOB; WSA
FMF President
Lord of Humour

King of Cräiteland
Colonel Vilhelm wrote:Ten-four Rubber Duck
I (yes that's me, Craitman) wrote:I'm just so quotable
Colonel Vilhelm wrote:Putting a claim into the MCS Administration Council is like sticking your Arm into a large peice of industrial machinery - it probably won't come out, but if it does, it'll have changed alot from how you remember it.
Iehova

Post by Iehova »

If Craitland has an active citizen base then it absolutely should consider such an idea. Even an absolute monarch needs the opinions of others to govern effectively.
Christian Mackintosh
Foreign Minister, DRR
http://www.riponia.org
kingjames

Post by kingjames »

Jamzinia used to be an absolute monarchy, now however, we are a constitutional monarchy. I much prefer having a constitution and government to aid me in the running of Jamzinia. That's not to say however, that I think that's the way Craitland should go. Maybe consider the types of government available; or form your own custom one to fit to your needs. If you like power, you don't have to grant your government too much power. The great thing is that you can delegate them as much power as you wish, whilst getting them involved.
Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Craitman, ask yourself these questions:
1. Would my citizens actually get involved in a parliament, considering their inactivity?
2. What powers could I trust them with anyway?
You handle foreign affairs and do fine with that. As to laws - well, unless you have an active citizen body pushing for new things, most of them you can do without - it just adds to the simulation but often serves no practical purpose.

If the answer to 1 is Yes, then what you should do is make a position that combines enough power that people want it, but not enough power they can actually mess anything up. Confer the Jokerdom (I know some people won't like the example but bear with me).
The position of Joker, in theory our absolute ruler, is the only one who can propose laws (but others can give him/her suggestions), can declare war (dangerous in normal nations but fine in ours), can veto treaties (saves having to get them to sign if they aren't too active) and can create ministries (and that's the main reason people want the job). But the Joker has a secret area he meets with his Minor Humour Deities ... who can, if necessary, steer him in the right direction in anything important. So the Joker has enough power citizens want it, but can't actually mess anything up ... as such.
The Honorable Andreas the Wise (NC)
Minister for Foreign Affairs, Novatainia
Lord of Magic, Novatainia
Duke of Lalaorn - Oscland
His Holiness, Cardinal of the Church of St Nova

El Crrkhlmongo IV
Minister for Silly Walks
Minor Humour Deity
Craitman
Administrator-General

Post by Craitman »

Iehova wrote:If Craitland has an active citizen base then it absolutely should consider such an idea
we don't though :wink:
Andreas the Wise wrote:Craitman, ask yourself these questions:
1. Would my citizens actually get involved in a parliament, considering their inactivity?
2. What powers could I trust them with anyway?
already done that. no to the first, not much to the second. we have only got our minister of foreign affairs that's really interested in our government bar me...
FMF President
Lord of Humour

King of Cräiteland
Colonel Vilhelm wrote:Putting a claim into the MCS Administration Council is like sticking your Arm into a large peice of industrial machinery - it probably won't come out, but if it does, it'll have changed alot from how you remember it.
pawelabrams

Post by pawelabrams »

Even though we are a full-democratic country, our parliament is... mm.. Inactive :P . I think it's temporarily authoritarian republic /translated correctly? by internet translator.../...
President of Interland
Craitman
Administrator-General

Post by Craitman »

pawelabrams wrote:I think it's temporarily authoritarian republic
/translated correctly? by internet translator.../...
sounds alright to me :lol:
FMF President
Lord of Humour

King of Cräiteland
Iehova

Post by Iehova »

Craitman:

If you're the only active citizen, or there are only 2 or 3 including you, then I really wouldn't bother. I'd put the few other active citizens into positions of power, whatever they may be, and let that be that.
Christian Mackintosh
Foreign Minister, DRR
http://www.riponia.org
Craitman
Administrator-General

Post by Craitman »

Iehova wrote:If you're the only active citizen, or there are only 2 or 3 including you, then I really wouldn't bother. I'd put the few other active citizens into positions of power, whatever they may be, and let that be that.
that's what we've got already. I'm the only major active citizen, but our MoFA is on sometimes, and other foreign dignatories pop in every now and again (some of them are dual-citizens)...
FMF President
Lord of Humour

King of Cräiteland
PresidentDavis

Post by PresidentDavis »

I would stay with what you have. Passas had a ministry, but there were never enough active citizens to fill the spots. That's why we had to change the constitution. It doesn't do any good to have a parliament if they're not going to be active.
Andreas the Wise

Your current system is fine Craitman. What I notice in micronations is they fit into one of two groups - either they have an absolute ruler who does everything, even if he or she may no longer be "officially" ruler, or they have a ruler, who does a bit, and a Minister of Foreign Affairs, who does everything else ...

Parliament is fine if people care about it. If they don't - well, don't bother.

El Crrkhlmongo IV
Minister for Silly Walks
Minor Humour Deity
Craitman
Administrator-General

Post by Craitman »

Andreas the Wise wrote:or they have a ruler, who does a bit, and a Minister of Foreign Affairs, who does everything else ...
like Novatainia... :lol:
FMF President
Lord of Humour

King of Cräiteland
Andreas the Wise

That was the first place that came to mind, yes ... :lol:
But the same applies with Tokidoki (Bayen) and Lovely (ISIT) ...

El Crrkhlmongo IV
Minister for Silly Walks
Minor Humour Deity